NSW Newnes Meet 13-14th October 2012 Organisation Thread

BushChef

Karen Hood
Staff member
Reaction score
Based on the success of the communal dinner on the first meet and the number of high class chefs on the forum what about a camp oven dinner on the sat night? I will bring some gear and lend a hand to the guru's
Sounds great. I'd be happy to lend the Chef's a hand as well, I might learn a thing or two lol :p

BjornJ

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
We'll need to talk about you getting a 4 inch lift kit and putting 37 inch tyres under your town car there Bjorn. Probably need to chop the guards for the rubber. Yours would look great with a snorkel and roo bar, and be practical as hell too. Cross Gunshot Creek in an Audi? No problem. ;)
Or just give me your keys and close your eyes....

hahaha, somehow I now feel like leaving the car at home and take the train down.
Might be the only chance of keeping the car as-is :)

Will have to see closer to the date but this place sounds great.
As long as I don't have to follow Corin's river crossing video in practice, should be fun.

Bjorn

geoff1404

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I would love to attend but unfortunately it's a bit too far out of my way. Sorry guys.

Aussiepom

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is this the sort of trip that a new guy could come along on? If so, I could make my own way in a 2wd car, (little Holden Barina, so no off-roading), or if anyone is going from the Mudgee area I would be happy to chip in with petrol money. That's assuming that someone would want to give a lift to a complete stranger that they met off the internet. ;)

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is this the sort of trip that a new guy could come along on? If so, I could make my own way in a 2wd car, (little Holden Barina, so no off-roading), or if anyone is going from the Mudgee area I would be happy to chip in with petrol money. That's assuming that someone would want to give a lift to a complete stranger that they met off the internet. ;)
Access to Newnes is an all weather 2WD dirt/gravel road. Only access to some of the campsites require fording the river.

The Hotel has lots of photos on the walls of the valley when it was in full production - it's hard to believe the look of the place then compared to now. Unfortunately, the Hotel stopped serving beer years ago, the late 80's if I recall correctly, and it was a dirty dealing to do with it being relocated to new ground following a flood - very contentious issue at the time. (We were lucky enough to have had a few ales there, in the dead of winter and beside the warmth of the fire place, before it ceased trading).

hobes

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
was just checkin the calender, 14th is sunday 15th monday? you do mean 13th and 14th?if so i might be able to make that one myself. labourday is on the 1st.

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
sounds good. Try and make this one, probably ride my motorbike (road bike) although not sure how I'd go getting it across a river. Is the crossing rocky?

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Back from the trip. I will be going out to newnes in the next week or two to scout the best locations and come back with instructions. We were initial aiming for the camp on the other side of the river as it might be a bit more quiet than the main site but if prefered by most we can make the main site the location for the meet. As I said. Im more than happy to ferry people across but happy to go with what the general preference is here.

Bloozz

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Hi all - didn't see this thread get started. I'm in for 13/14 October but don't want to leave my car parked anywhere unattended, so would prefer if the campsite doesn't require river crossing. But would be up for a river-crossing excursion in someone else's car at some stage over the weekend.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all - didn't see this thread get started. I'm in for 13/14 October but don't want to leave my car parked anywhere unattended, so would prefer if the campsite doesn't require river crossing. But would be up for a river-crossing excursion in someone else's car at some stage over the weekend.
There are stacks of camp sites at Newnes that do not require a river crossing.

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hey Blake, did you end up getting down there for a look? Keen to hear what your thoughts were for locations. after missing out o the last gathering i'm dong my best to make sure this weekend is clear.

Hi guys,

Back from the trip. I will be going out to newnes in the next week or two to scout the best locations and come back with instructions. We were initial aiming for the camp on the other side of the river as it might be a bit more quiet than the main site but if prefered by most we can make the main site the location for the meet. As I said. Im more than happy to ferry people across but happy to go with what the general preference is here.