NSW Newnes Meet 13-14th October 2012 Organisation Thread

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Details on the meet can be found here

------------------------------------------------------

OK Guys what where and when, lets have the suggestions.

I am up for a meet same as we had in January this year on the 18-20 January (Friday afternoon to Sunday Afternoon), though happy for someone else to organise the location and such. If you want the same place, being warrabunda in Tahmoor south of Sydney, then reach consensus as soon as possible, and I will book out the whole campsite same as last time.

If someone wants to set a date and run it a canoe weekend in spring could be fun, I can provide as many boats as required to those that need them at reasonable rates. (a decent donation to the scouts).

Anyhow lets get thinking before the momentum of the previous meet is lost.

Last edited by a moderator:

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
I am a fan of Meryla, some good 4wd tracks too! What date do you have in mind?

BushChef

Karen Hood
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not familiar with some of those places but would be up for anything. If it could be within 2-3hrs driving from the Blue Mountains that would be great for us - just putting it out there. It would also be awesome if we could choose a location where the meeting point is one which allows walkers to walk in, and one which is vehicle-accessible for those who aren't up for the walk. That way it suits everyone. Blake suggested Newnes (did I spell that right?) which I'd love to check out. Happy to go with whatever really :)

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Anywhere is good.
I definitely going to try my best to make it this time.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Im there no matter what. I like the idea of a spring meet rather than waiting 6 months again.

Darren suggested Newnes and I love that idea. Its a beautiful spot. You can drive in a fair way. To get to the deeper camping area you need to cross the wolgan river but im more than happy to act as a ferry with my ute and drive people and their gear back and forth for those without a 4x4. Its also got pit toilets, fire rings etc etc. Also lots of great history to look at like close by aboriginal rock painting, the gloworm tunnel and the old oil shale works ruins to explore. So you can setup camp and relax, chat and learn or head out for your choice of adventure. Something for everyone.

Last edited:

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I like Newnes state forest.

However, times I went there on weekends, there are tons of dirt bike riders that are really loud and the bike exhaust smells horrible.
There got to be a spot with much less dirt bike riders, but I have not found it yet.

darren

Templar
Reaction score
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
We'll need to talk about you getting a 4 inch lift kit and putting 37 inch tyres under your town car there Bjorn. Probably need to chop the guards for the rubber. Yours would look great with a snorkel and roo bar, and be practical as hell too. Cross Gunshot Creek in an Audi? No problem. ;)
Or just give me your keys and close your eyes....

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so if it is going to be spring, we need a date in October that suits the Majority. I already have some bookings in October, including Moony's hammer in which i am already booked in for. The first weekend in October is the long weekend so we can most likely strike that. how about 14-15th?

Do we then agree on Newnes? I am not fussed and happy to go wherever... Could also look at Bendeela for this and future events. http://www.sca.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/9922/Bandeela-Camping-Ground-Fact-Sheet.pdf

Do we hold the date in January for another one?

Lets make some decisions....

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I like all the places and I think we should cross them all off the list for a meet.

Im with Chutes. For this one I vote Newnes. 14-15th works for me. Also another one in January is a good idea. A paddle in summer sounds great.

BushChef

Karen Hood
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Wentworth and I are keen to hit Newnes on the 14th and 15th of October. Sounds great. Blake, if we could take you up on your offer to ferry us across the river that would be helpful. Glad that the next one is less than six months away :)

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Really hope I can make that one in Newnes - haven't been there in years. Dusted off the topo map filing cabinet, and for those interested: 1:25,000 Ben Bullen (8931-4-S) and Mount Morgan (8931-1-S) should provide enough coverage of the area (Glow Worm Tunnel, Newnes 'township', Wolgan River, Capertee River, etc) to keep people busy.

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Well, I am happy to go, where ever the meet is.
I have told SWMBO that I am going, making sure that I have veto on a weekend some time in October

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Awesome. Excited Already.

Great to hear peter.

Hey guys, Wentworth and I are keen to hit Newnes on the 14th and 15th of October. Sounds great. Blake, if we could take you up on your offer to ferry us across the river that would be helpful. Glad that the next one is less than six months away :)
Not a problem. Booked on the maiden voyage!

Ill go out there in a few weeks and do a recky and have a camp out. Find out were people can park their cars etc and post up some instructions and photos on how to get there and when to meet/park for those with 2WD etc. Ill talk to the right people and find out a good place to park and camp. If we need to bring in our own firewood Ill bring in enough firewood for the weekend.

Ill post up a thread with all instructions soon including some information on the walking tracks available, history of the area and flora and fauna you can see.

I think Ill even be able to get Jenny to come to this one :linguino:

Last edited:

peter

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Could you keep a eye out, for a rock or log for me Blake :)