NSW meet and greet

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
OK NSW bushcrafters, lets not sit about and let these Queenslanders have all the fun. How about a local meet up? A weekend bush or a few drinks someplace. maybe a 4wd trip or walk. What are you up for and lets get it organised.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Well im keen no matter what the plan is but my mates and I are all keen campers and 4wders also so that would be a good thing.

Plus, im picking up my new BT50 on Saturday so got to go out and get her dirty ASAP!

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
OK so now we have two! I am a keen 4wder also, maybe a trip to Bendethra is in order? nice place this time of year if you like the cold.... I have not been out to Dingo Dell for a while. Otherwise I know a chap who ownes a property out on the Abercrombie river 500 odd acres. Yalwal is always good, but we could also think about Meryla if you want somewhere closer.

Any suggestions? Anyone else interested?

Steve

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
OK so now we have two! I am a keen 4wder also, maybe a trip to Bendethra is in order? nice place this time of year if you like the cold.... I have not been out to Dingo Dell for a while. Otherwise I know a chap who ownes a property out on the Abercrombie river 500 odd acres. Yalwal is always good, but we could also think about Meryla if you want somewhere closer.

Any suggestions? Anyone else interested?
Im in, i havent got a 4wd though, also im pretty much a green horn at bushcraft but i want to give it a go. Whatever gets planned i will try my hardest to be there, might need a lift though if its off road cause my vehicle is less than capable of 4wd. (barina doh :(). Im planning on getting me a hilux one of these days :) or similar.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Mate, happy to help! Welcome on board.

Time to set a date!

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm in. No 4wd, so a walking trip would be convenient :) I don't think my echo would take too much offroad...

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
bendethera valley is a stunning spot and would be awesome for a big meet, but can be a bit lengthy to get to.

Blackhawk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
For those who might find it difficult to get to places where a 4wd might be needed,then a PM to those who need transport could be the way to go.The other thing I was thinking of was starting BUSHCRAFTOZ chapters and arrange satellite meetings and have a rendevous gathering every year for all in alternate states each year,kinda like Dirttime in the US.I would be happy to start a Hunter Valley/NW NSW group so drop me a line if you are interested.Any thoughts or comments?

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm in. No 4wd, so a walking trip would be convenient :) I don't think my echo would take too much offroad...
I am keen to walk also, Something suitable for all would be good.... Down to the Cox's from Carlons Farm maybe?

bendethera valley is a stunning spot and would be awesome for a big meet, but can be a bit lengthy to get to.
Oh yeah a big plus from me. In via Mericumbene fire trail is my favourite. Great place for a family orientated trip. Road in is not rough... just really steep. Car pooling is also an option to consider.

For those who might find it difficult to get to places where a 4wd might be needed,then a PM to those who need transport could be the way to go.The other thing I was thinking of was starting BUSHCRAFTOZ chapters and arrange satellite meetings and have a rendevous gathering every year for all in alternate states each year,kinda like Dirttime in the US.I would be happy to start a Hunter Valley/NW NSW group so drop me a line if you are interested.Any thoughts or comments?
Agreed... It would only work though if we get the numbers, the site is growing very quick....

Blackhawk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
It only takes a few members to get the ball rolling.I organised a meet on another forum and although only 5 of us showed up we all had a good day and it brings the group closer.Nothing like putting faces to names.So I will put the feelers out regarding my area soon for a gathering.The Barrington Tops area is one location I had in mind.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Coxs via carlons sounds good Corin. Via nettle infested carlon ck, or down Ironpot?

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Nettles are not the only nasties in Carlons/Breakfast creek nowdays! lol I remember when it was a well trodden horse trail, these days it is a nightmare!

Or if you are game we could do the little used "Box Canyon" route...

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Corin at least you found some good bait or should i say it found you:)

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Corin at least you found some good bait or should i say it found you:)
A bit of description behind the above picture of the leaches...

We decided to walk in to the Coxs River after work one Friday night to give us a head start Saturday. As usual by the time we drove up the mountains, had dinner, and reached the start of the walk It was nearly 9pm, and raining... I had heard that the nettles in this area had grown rampant since horses were removed from the area, but I donned my trusty shorts... What I did not realize was that the nettles had completely taken over. I did not know nettle grew to 2m high..... but apparently in the right conditions! Anyhow I was stung worse than I could ever imagine. When we finally set up camp after midnight, I was so stung and itchy from leeches, I did not get any sleep at all. I swore never to enter this area again without some industrial thickness long pants.

I don't mind the leeches so much... as long as you get them all off before climbing into your sleeping bag, because spending the night with them is a bit much. The one in my sock had gone through the wool and fed, swelling so that it could not move forwards or backwards, I had to squeeze it dry to remove it from the weave.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A bit of description behind the above picture of the leaches...

We decided to walk in to the Coxs River after work one Friday night to give us a head start Saturday. As usual by the time we drove up the mountains, had dinner, and reached the start of the walk It was nearly 9pm, and raining... I had heard that the nettles in this area had grown rampant since horses were removed from the area, but I donned my trusty shorts... What I did not realize was that the nettles had completely taken over. I did not know nettle grew to 2m high..... but apparently in the right conditions! Anyhow I was stung worse than I could ever imagine. When we finally set up camp after midnight, I was so stung and itchy from leeches, I did not get any sleep at all. I swore never to enter this area again without some industrial thickness long pants.

I don't mind the leeches so much... as long as you get them all off before climbing into your sleeping bag, because spending the night with them is a bit much. The one in my sock had gone through the wool and fed, swelling so that it could not move forwards or backwards, I had to squeeze it dry to remove it from the weave.
Christ that sounds like a nightmare. Out of interest Corin what's your lech removal technique, just the old heave hoe or do you have a good tip? I usually just check myself often when I know they are around because once they get a taste they can be a bit tricky to remove.

Chalk another one up for the long pants. I don't care how hot it is, if I'm in the bush it's pants all the way for me.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Christ that sounds like a nightmare. Out of interest Corin what's your lech removal technique, just the old heave hoe or do you have a good tip? I usually just check myself often when I know they are around because once they get a taste they can be a bit tricky to remove.

Chalk another one up for the long pants. I don't care how hot it is, if I'm in the bush it's pants all the way for me.
This is the exception, not the rule for me. I am staying with shorts, but each to there own.

Regarding removal... I just pull em off and rub them between the fingers for a bit, 'till they are squished and won't be coming back. If you pull hard enough they will come off.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Great pics. I've only experienced leeches along carlon ck once luckily. The red bellies love it along there, very glad it's winter.

Blackhawk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
In leech infested country,I like to carry a small vial with salt in it and a pair of tweezers taped to the side.The salt tends to upset their determination a bit and the tweezers pluck 'em off.I don't like to scratch or try to pull them off as any anti-coagulant might be squeezed in the bite.The bites still itch like billy-o after a while so a dab of antiseptic helps.Mind you,they don't take kindly to a Bic lighter held to their backsides either,just be careful!