NSW Lake Yarrunga/Shoalhaven/Kangaroo Valley Meet 9-10 Feb Organisation thread

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread will be updated with information as required and is the correct place to ask any questions about what we will be doing.

Let us start with the basics.

This is not a formal organized activity, nobody is actually taking responsibility for planning or getting you all to the location safely. If you cannot organise to get yourself there, look after yourself while you are there, and get home safely, you had better not be there. If you happen to be Kayaking/Canoeing that weekend in this location we will likely meet up.

Everyone is reminded that we will be in a national park, and on a water supply dam, and all rules associated with that must be adhered to.

Getting There

9:00am start at the carpark

What to bring

Everything you need for a 2 day Canoe Trip, to be dry and self sufficient. Everything must fit in a boat.

See this post as an example http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showthread.php?4164-The-next-NSW-BushcraftOz-meet-9th-10th-February&p=43500&viewfull=1#post43500

Something bushcrafty to share or demonstrate to those that are interested.

A good attitude!

Costs

All costs are your own.

Travel Plan

I suggest we head (preferably as a group) from the dam wall, up the shoalhaven arm of the lake until we find a campsite suitable for our numbers. This will be difficult up this arm of the lake, none the less it is a spectacular paddle, and an easy trip for beginners, perhaps one of the people going in early could reserve a suitable site? There may be some hammock trees available but I would not count on it unless we paddle down the Kangaroo arm, which is a lot less spectacular but has better camping options. (Which way do we want to go folks?)

Boats PFD and Drums

The people who I am bringing boats and equipment for; (Blake will update this list as he receives payment)

Corin
Blake
Gelandangan
Duke
Breeza
BrentonLume
Fungineer
Wentworth

If you are going and you need a boat please see pay as per this thread

http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showthread.php?4164-The-next-NSW-BushcraftOz-meet-9th-10th-February&p=43754&viewfull=1#post43754

OK Guys ask away, what else do you need to know?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fungineer

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi Corin,

I'm no expert at any of this, but I'm pretty keen for this trip if you all would allow me to join. I think a mate of mine would be keen too if that's okay, we're at about the same skill level. Eager to have some fun and learn a few things about camping and bushcraft.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Its not my call mate, this is simply a meet, if you would like to come and you can do so safely, then the decision to come along is your own. I know for a fact you would be very welcome!
If you need boats or other gear I can assist per the thread above.

I hope you can make it!

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just a reminder. That if you want to book a seat in a canoe and haven't payed I need your payment ASAP to confirm you seat. Payment needs to be received by the end of this weekend.

* Please put your BushcraftOz username in the checkout notes when you purchase your canoe hire so I can tick your payment off.
* Payment is per person. If purchasing for more than one person please change the quantity in the cart during checkout and be sure to list all usernames the payment represents.
* If you are bringing your own craft you DO NOT need to make this payment. This is only for those hiring a spot on a canoe.
* Price includes your Canoe, Paddle, PFD and gear drum if you need it plus transport of your canoe to the start location and pickup at the end of the trip.
* 100% of this fee will be donated to the 1st Picton Scout Group for the use of their equipment.

Click the image below to purchase your canoe hire

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
In regards to camping options. Personally Im probably just going to crash on the ground so I dont mind the more scenic route. Last time I did this trip with breeza and brenton we dug beds in the river rocks, warmed some stones around the fire and used them around the bed. I had a top nights sleep that night, or maybe I was tired.

Failing that I can always snuggle up to Darren. Big or little spoon mate?

Last edited:

darren

Templar
Reaction score
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
In regards to camping options. Personally Im probably just going to crash on the ground so I dont mind the more scenic route. Last time I did this trip with breeza and brenton we dug beds in the river rocks, warmed some stones around the fire and used them around the bed. I had a top nights sleep that night, or maybe I was tired.

Failing that I can always snuggle up to Darren. Big or little spoon mate?

I'm easy as you know...
or we could use rock paper scissors to decide

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hey Happy Campers,

At last I can start counting the sleeps down without using my toes!

I’m a hammock hanger, so a spot to hang would have to be very high on my list of camp site requirements. I have been up the gorge once before and it was a great experience; with the wet conditions we had, it was very special. I have never travelled the other way so don’t have any firsthand experience to speak of but have watched many videos and the campsites look flatter and have more room with the trade off being that the paddle may not be as senic.

A few points of consideration / discussion

Is everyone looking to head off from the dam? Only reason I ask is that the canoe hire place drops people off down the other end of the lake which is in the opposite direction from the gorge. So if any have arrangements with an alternate safari type company than we may need to take that into account.

How many hangers are we speaking about here? Maybe if we can get an idea of who is going to be looking for some trees VS those ground dwellers we can make a group decision based on that.

Which way do we go and campsite suitability – With the two points above in mind those with more knowledge of the area may be able to provide some suggestions.

I'm off to start playing with some gear!!! :)

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
The gorge is very spectacular but I would say that lake yarunga might be more suited to this event. It has many large sites to choose from, several side arms to explore and even if some people want to camp separate from the group, that's no problem, just a 10 minute paddle across the lake. It's not a deal breaker for me but thought I would point out the differences. Very much looking forward to the meet guys,ets hope this weather clears up a bit

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
BushcrafOz General Meets

Information Sheet
Please fill out the below questionnaire so all your personal requirements can be met to provide the most enjoyment for yourself and others attending the said meet. Remember the event is not an official meet it is a general get together and your own responsibility for safety and enjoyment.
Event:
Date:
Name:
1. Will you require hiring any special equipment for this event provided by BushcraftOz hire service?
2. Have you paid in full for the hiring?
3. Will you be showing any bushcraft skills? (If so how much time will you need so proper class planning can be done.)
4. Please indicate camping preferences: Snoring or non-snoring?
5. Sleeping : Hammock or Ground?( hammock sleepers please go to question 9 )
6. Ground sleepers do you prefer spooning or non-spooning?( non-spooners please go to question 9)
7. Do you prefer laying on left or right side?
8. Do prefer being large or small spoon or will you leave it for a paper, rock, and scissors decision?(no best out of 3)
9. Toilets: do you prefer unisex tree, Male &female tree or do you prefer your own private tree?
10. Are you a smoker yes or no? (if so please remember no smoking within 4 metres of any group area or public amenities)
11. Will you be participating in any of Wentworth’s Aqua Yoga classes? If so do you want private lessons or group lessons?’
12. Meals; Do prefer cooking your own or group gourmet cook up? (cook your own please go to question 16 )
13. Will you want all four courses?
14. Do you prefer Brandy or port with your after dinner coffee and chocolate?
15. If you are a smoker of cigars please list your preference to type you like for your after dinner pleasure?
16. In the event of embarrassing moment being caught on film do you give permission for those images to be used on the BushcraftOzforum, Yes or No? (Please remember if you say no it will only be funnier as attending these meets it is compulsory all pics of this nature must be posted).

Any further Information you wish to provide is most welcomed. Please post your responses ASAP
Please do not take this post seriously

Last edited:

Fungineer

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Good thing you added that disclaimer auscraft, I was just about to ask for a mailing address to submit my questionnaire! On a serious note though, I was wondering how large those gear drums are. I probably won't be packing incredibly light (I'll be sleeping in a tent). Thanks!

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I am a tree hanger, but, I could sleep on the ground if required.
After all it is only for one night.
Much prefer hanging tho.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
If this is a similar spot to the one I've camped at with Corin before, there won't be that many hammock trees available, so I'll be sleeping under a tarp.

SaxonPathfinder

Les Stroud
Reaction score
G'day, I'm not fussed either way we go, I shall be sleeping on the ground just under a tarp. I'll try Fishing whichever way we go :)

nimbin hippy

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Gday Blake i was just wondering about the canoe in the advertisement for hire is it yours and is it a copy of a Joe Seligas's?