NSW Kedumba Clearing Meet 7-8 July Organisation Thread

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
The date and location for the next meet has been set, now it is time to get in and organise it.

This thread is for that purpose.

Over coming weeks this thread will be updated with information as required and is the correct place to ask any questions about what we will be doing.

Let us start with the basics.

This is not a formal organized activity, nobody is actually taking responsibility for planning or getting you all to the location safely. If you cannot organise to get yourself there, look after yourself while you are there, and get home safely, you had better not be there. If you happen to be bushwalking to Kedumba that weekend we will likely meet up.

Everyone is reminded that we will be in a national park, and all rules associated with that must be adhered to.

Getting There

Coming soon....

However, There are two options depending on your personal bent.
a) Walk in via fire trail on Saturday morning, and out same route, Click Here for more info
b) Night walk from Katoomba camping on Mt Solitary Friday night and then down to Kedumba Saturday morning. (Only for the keen and fitter people) and out via the fire trail.

I am not keen for a full day walk in on Saturday, as it takes too much away from the meet time, my personal opinion...

Please feel free to use the forum to find others to make a party to walk in with, for anyone interested in option B above, please let me know and I will coordinate that option.

What to bring

Everything you need for a 2 day bushwalk.

Something bushcrafty to share or demonstrate to those that are interested.

Costs

All costs are your own.

Last edited:

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
I intend to bring materials to demonstrate, fire by friction (Hand drill) and probably something to do with Natural Fiber, so I can run a natural fiber spinning workshop as I get a lot of questions about that. Also would be prepared to do something on Navigation.

Also can do some bush tucker, medicine and useful plants talks.

Last edited:

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm in.

Ill also bring some other BC items from the store and if someone wants to think of a good comp id be happy to donate some prizes. Ill bring some patches also if people want to buy them off me there.

I can also do a spoon carving tutorial and if anyone wants to follow along let me know and Ill bring you a piece of wood suitable for beginner practice.

Last edited:

HitchHiking

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I reckon I could bring a couple tarps down and we could have a play at trying out some of the different set up styles.

Its great to experiment hands on and find what works well for different conditions that can be encountered at different areas.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm in.

Ill also bring some other BC items from the store and if someone wants to think of a good comp id be happy to donate some prizes. Ill bring some patches also if people want to buy them off me there.

I can also do a spoon carving tutorial and if anyone wants to follow along let me know and Ill bring you a piece of wood suitable for beginner practice.
Sounds great Blake, count me in!

I reckon I could bring a couple tarps down and we could have a play at trying out some of the different set up styles.

Its great to experiment hands on and find what works well for different conditions that can be encountered at different areas.
I actually own one of your tarps that I bought second hand and already I want another. I have always used cheap tarps with very limited setup options so I would very much like to have a look at how you set yours up.

Regarding the walk in, Darren and I are in the process of planning our walk in via Mt solitary. Being most likely;

Depart Golden stairs carpark at 7pm Friday night.

Camp on Solitary Friday night

Walk down to Kedumba Saturday morning.

Are you guys keen?

HitchHiking

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Sounds great Blake, count me in!

I actually own one of your tarps that I bought second hand and already I want another. I have always used cheap tarps with very limited setup options so I would very much like to have a look at how you set yours up.

Regarding the walk in, Darren and I are in the process of planning our walk in via Mt solitary. Being most likely;

Depart Golden stairs carpark at 7pm Friday night.

Camp on Solitary Friday night

Walk down to Kedumba Saturday morning.

Are you guys keen?
Yeah I could be a couple down and get them set up in different ways. We can also use them for group shelter as well if the rain (hopefully snow :D )
decides to join us.

Im keen for the Mt Solitary route in!

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd be keen for the night walk in on Friday via Mt solitary also if that's cool?

Sounds great. Id be very interested in that.

Last edited:

peter

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I can't wait for this trip. Googled up Kedumba looks like a top spot. Kedumba will be the lowest temperature, i have used a swag at. Think i might add a closed cell foam mat, & a tarp to the mix. I have been known in the past, to use my 1l water bottle, as a hot water bottle. 99.9 of my camping has been in the bush. I find a spot with some firewood, and call it home for the night. I don't own a camping stove, & have never used one. I am going to have to, buy one before July. I don't have a clue about stoves, any advice would be great.
Could i walk in/out on the Kebumda Valley road? Is it like the Oaks fire trail? If so i might try, & walk all the way in Friday night. That way you can find a frozen body Saturday morning LOL. Cheers Peter

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't wait for this trip. Googled up Kedumba looks like a top spot. Kedumba will be the lowest temperature, i have used a swag at. Think i might add a closed cell foam mat, & a tarp to the mix. I have been known in the past, to use my 1l water bottle, as a hot water bottle. 99.9 of my camping has been in the bush. I find a spot with some firewood, and call it home for the night. I don't own a camping stove, & have never used one. I am going to have to, buy one before July. I don't have a clue about stoves, any advice would be great.
Could i walk in/out on the Kebumda Valley road? Is it like the Oaks fire trail? If so i might try, & walk all the way in Friday night. That way you can find a frozen body Saturday morning LOL. Cheers Peter
I got a spare stove you can borrow,

bubba5603

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I can bring a snake skin if anyone would like to drink their own pee..
I can even supply some pee if needed.
Darren, I guess now that Bear is not with Discovery, he could use the work. Maybe he can come for the pee drinking demonstration?

I say this out of jealously in that there is no possible way for me to attend, athough I would dearly love to and meet some of the people from the forum. Maybe in a couple of years when the kids are older.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Ew, save it for the pub Darren! :linguino:

Peter, you can walk in and out via the Kedumba rd. There are two signs, the one at the beginning says it's 8km in, the one down the bottom says it's 9km out. I measured it with a bit of string on the map and it's closer to 10km. Maybe 2.5hrs in, 3 hrs out? The downhill is a bit rough on bad knees, but should be fine. Via Solitary and down to Kedumba is doable too. I can't remember how long it took though.

peter

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Thanks Wentworth i might go in one way, and out the other

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a early start on the Saturday for the walk in if anyone wanted to talk time to meet at the parking area, Wherever that is?

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Lep, Tablelands Rd, on the left hand side of the Great Western Highway, drive to the end till you hit the Queen Vic Hospital, take the right hand fork and it will take you down to the car park.
It should be a good chilly night, below zero.

On our first trip down to Kedumba, Bushchef and I met a mountainbiker. He was riding around the valley looking a bit confused. We asked him if he needed help. Turns out he had been told of a firetrail that took him from the hospital to Woodford, but he didn't have a map, so he had taken the right hand fork down into Kedumba. 10km downhill through 3 gates saying "walkers only". He looked shocked when he realised he'd have to ride/ walk back out of the valley to get where he wanted to be.

This was winter and about 5pm. He had no water, no jumper. We offered him water and a garbage bag which he politely declined.
Ah memories...

There are also a few inquisitive maggies down there that have broken into food bags a few times. Really looking forward to the trip!