Reptile Notechis scutatus occidentalis (Western tiger snake)

Static89

Russell Coight
Reaction score
FB_IMG_1483117737285-02.jpg

Highly Venomous.

Common Names. Western Tiger Snake

Order: Squamata

Suborder: Serpentes

Family: Elapidae

Sub-family: Elapinae

Genus: Notechis

Distribution:
Tiger snakes have a non-continuous distribution within two broad areas; southeastern Australia (including the islands of Bass Strait and Tasmania), and southwestern Australia.

Populations occur on the following offshore islands; (counter-clockwise around Australia) Carnac and Garden (Western Australia); Goat, West Franklin and East Franklin in Nuyts Archipelago; Hopkins; Hareby; Reevsby, Marum, Partney, Lusby, Roxby and Spilsby in the Sir Joseph Banks Group; Kangaroo (South Australia); New Year, Christmas and King in western Bass Strait and Badger, Mt Chappell, Flinders, Babel and Cat in eastern Bass Strait (Tasmania). It is not clear whether the population on Carnac Island is of completely indigenous origin or not, as some 80 individuals were released on the island in around 1929 without record of them already being present.

Habitat: The species is often associated with watery environments such as creeks, dams, drains, lagoons, wetlands and swamps. They can also occur in highly degraded areas e.g. grazing lands, especially where there is water and local cover. Tiger snakes will shelter in or under fallen timber, in deep matted vegetation and in disused animal burrows. Unlike most other Australian elapids, tiger snakes climb well on both vegetation and human constructions, and have been found as high as 10 m above the ground.

Altitudinally, tiger snakes range from sea level to above 1000m (Tasmania).

Habitat type
Terrestrial Habitat: marsh, riparian, temperate
Vegetation Habitat: open forest, open heath, tussock grassland, woodland

Personal opinions.
While snakes are considered warm weather creatures. Tigers do well in cooler climates and I've found them on cool mornings.
I have found 15+ Tigers in 2 hours walking around Herdsman lake. North of perth. And I have heard of 30+ individuals sighted a day by a single person.

Last edited: