Reptile Notechis scutatus (Eastern Tiger Snake)

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Warning Poisionous

Scientific Name: Notechis scutatus

Common Name: Eastern Tiger Snake

Order: Squamata

Suborder: Serpentes

Family: Elapidae

Other Names: Mainland Tiger Snake

Distribution: South East Queensland, East of New South Wales and most of Victoria

Habitat: Wide range of habitats, from rainforest to dry schlerophyll forest, and river floodplains in the south of its range.

Field Notes: The Eastern Tiger Snake is light brown to greyish in colour and sometimes even olive in colour with paler cross bands. Its underparts are cream to yellow in colour.

This species has many similar species such as a juvenile Eastern Brown Snake. It can be distinguished from this species by the absence of a black patch on the back of its head. (Source)

Frogs are a popular food source for the Eastern Tiger snake but also eats many other smaller vertibrate animals. Like most snakes it will flee when disturbed but will not hesitate to strike when cornered or confronted.

Image By Blake - 2011 - Location: Australia Zoo

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
It was, as I very nearly ran it over in my car - the shot was taken from the drivers seat ...

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
LOL, best place to be at that time. Got any Copperheads?

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response, I took some shots recently of a copperhead and have just posted them up in a separate thread. Cheers,