Bug No Notifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, not many notifications and

I noticed I often need to hit "What's New" twice to see any updates !

I'll ping Blake !

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks guys for bringing this to my attention. When you say your not receiving notification do you mean you are subscribed to the thread but not receiving a PM notification or email? If you could let me know if it is email or PM notifications that will help me narrow it down. I have checked the email queue in the back-end and its all clear.

Also what browser are you all using out of interest and do you have cookies enabled on your browsers?

Last edited:

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I have not been receiving email notifications of new posts/threads. Sorry, cookies & browsers are over my head.
Keith.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for bringing this to my attention. When you say your not receiving notification do you mean you are subscribed to the thread but not receiving a PM notification or email? If you could let me know if it is email or PM notifications that will help me narrow it down. I have checked the email queue in the back-end and its all clear.

Also what browser are you all using out of interest and do you have cookies enabled on your browsers?
Yes. That's it. Threads I've subscribed to (and usually get an email) I don't get an email, or some times it is very slow in coming (makes me wonder if the queue may get "purged" before it sends).

PMs seem to work OK

I mostly use Firefox (a couple of different versions, some up to date, some are old), all have cookies enabled.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
OK thanks for the info gents. I have tried something, let me know if it fixes the problem. I have previous had the email system set to send notification emails for subscribed threads in batches of 10 to lessen the pressure on the server but I'm thinking that with less subscriptions they are coming through delayed because its waiting for a queue of 10 before it sends them.

I have disabled the queuing feature lets see how that goes. It should be near instant now.

Aussie123: I have sent you a diagnostic email from the forum can you please confirm you received that? It will just have some filler text in it to test formatting.

Le Loup: Are you not receiving emails at all anymore or are they just delayed? If not at all can you please check your junk mail folder for me to just confirm they aren't incorrectly being flagged as spam. Emails should still be going through but their does seem to be a delay. Also just checking you are subscribing to the threads you want a notification on? You will need to mark what threads you get an email notification for. Not all new threads will you receive an email, only subscribed threads.

To subscribe to a thread: On the top right of the thread click thread tools and then click 'subscribe to this thread...'. You can view the thread you are subscribed to by:
1. clicking 'settings' at the top right corner of the website (when logged in)
2. on the left hand tool bar under 'My Subscriptions' click subscriptions. This will list all the threads you are currently subscribed to.
3. Note the notification type on the right hand column.
4. You can click the check box for the thread on the right and click 'selected threads' to change when the email will be send. Ie. instant, daily or weekly.

Just make sure they haven't changed to 'none' as this will happen if the thread hasn't received a reply in a long time.

Note that if you are subscribed to a thread and there are multiple replies you will still only receive 1 notification email until the time in which you LOGIN and visit that thread on the forum. Once you do this it will assume you have read the new posts and send a notification again for new posts.

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Aussie123: I have sent you a diagnostic email from the forum can you please confirm you received that? It will just have some filler text in it to test formatting.

Yes I received it at 8:29 this morning (10/3/0217)
Feel free to send more tests if it helps.

... Any thoughts about the having to hit "What's New" twice to see all the messages ?
I wonder if the first hit just shoes "recent" posts, and the second hit shows some older ones. I haven't really looked closely enough, but I will keep an eye on it now

Thanks Blake

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes I received it at 8:29 this morning (10/3/0217)
Feel free to send more tests if it helps.

... Any thoughts about the having to hit "What's New" twice to see all the messages ?
I wonder if the first hit just shoes "recent" posts, and the second hit shows some older ones. I haven't really looked closely enough, but I will keep an eye on it now

Thanks Blake

ok cool. Yeah that's about when I sent it. Regarding whats new....assuming cookies are enabled. (https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Cook...ies-that-websites-use-to-track-your/ta-p/2784) you could try clearing your browser cache.. maybe the search result is being cached but I dont think thats it. The whats new button is essentially a search, which when clicked just does a search of the forum for new posts here is the URL: http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post

I have just tried this in Chrome and it works perfectly everytime... However in Edge. Not so. I get the same thing as you, nothing but if it click it again it works the second time... the plot thickens..

Status
Not open for further replies.