Nite Ize tie downs

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
This review is of 4 Nite Ize products that i have used in part of my ridgeline set up I will be using with my new hammock.
View attachment 11412View attachment 11413View attachment 11414View attachment 11415
The first is the S-binner, second is the Camjam, third is Figure9 and last is the Knot Bone the last 3 items are all cord tightners or knot replacement devices. I should also point out the Camjam is not actually part of the ridgeline but will be used in the tarp setup.

Why i went with these items, simply because I am using 3mm cord for my ridgeline and wanted something simple to use without the hassel of tieing and untieing knots and can be simply adjusted in all weather conditions.
In the configuration of my ridgeline I use 2 (two) S-binners, 1 (one) Knot Bone , 1 (one) Figure9 , 3 (three) pursik adjustable loops and 10m of 3mm cord. The total weight of setup is 76gr.
View attachment 11416 the rolled up setup and as you can see all fittings are still attached no reason to remove them which is part of the great part of the setup and all fittings are easily adjusted for any tree or space needed.
View attachment 11417
I use 2 of the small S-binners S/S which are attached to the line which are attached by Pursik knots as seen. These S-binners are used to attach my Tarp .They also work as drip point saves water running under tarp.
View attachment 11418
I have 1 Knot Bone which is used at the end I wrap around the first tree to secure. The bone is adjustable depending on thickness of tree, The boneis multi functional ( different tie methods). But for this setup I simply wrap around tree bring loose end back to bone wrap 3 times and it locks.
View attachment 11419
The Figure9 is used at the other end of line this is were I tighten the line and also lock tie in place it as you can see I have used another Pursik Knot to attach it to the line.
I find this setup using the items I mention to be very useful, I don't see the weight being an issue and I don't need to worry about Knots in small dia. Cord. Considering The line will be the main support for a tarp and in bad or windy weather the tarp acts like a sail these items insure quick, easy adjustments even from benneath the tarp also i don't need to worry about knots tightening on themselves (no not picking or cutting lines).

The Camjam I mentioned is not part of the ridgeline but will be used as quick attachment and adjustment for tarp tie out , same beniffits apply. I will also use 3mm bungie cord instead o

A quick word on the cord itself I recieved this cord from a member asking my thoughts on it. It is Venetian blind cord 3mm with a breaking strength of 250kg. Now venetian blind cord is usually pre stretched both the inside and outside layers over 2mm I do not have the details on this particluar brand but can't see why it is any different. I like the cord infact i was using the Amsteel or equivlent with much higher break strength but I was worried about it not giving in bad weather and causing damage to the tarp itself. So this setup cord and fittings should be safe.
All in all the products a great prices are very good but do your price checks some are not so realistic especially with postage.

Last edited:

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
thinking of using the S biner aswell for my HH Hex tarp. I have put loops on the tarp so I can run the ridge line on the outside. I would like to see a long shot of the whole set up with all Biners and fig 9 in place so I can see how you have it set up. In the small pics I cant see where the fig 9 comes in to play sorry.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
I did take a long shot but not clear at all.
The Figure 9 is the tie off around 2nd tree. I will take a wider angle pic to see if it can be clearly shown

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Ordered a tarp key and tarp cross, will see how they go.

Thanks for the good pics

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Thrud I have not seen those till now thanks.
I am only new to hammocks, so new still to stay in one overnight but my ridgeline is for now sorted I have my hammock but still waiting on the ordered tarp.
I wanted to do a review on the lot but the ridgeline is not from the hammock and tarp maker

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I've only stayed in for two nights and am still working things out. There are a lot of very experienced hammockers in the forum, I saw the tarp key and cross in the video that Doc posted and went to their website. The bloke replied within 30 secs of me placing the order to let me know he was going to reduce the postage price!

Last edited:

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Was just asking about this a week or two ago.
I like this set up. Looks the goods.
I was looking to use the figure 9s as a tensioner/holdfast for the existing rope on my HH. Looking at the website I would need to use the Figure 9 Big due to the weight rating.
I plan on wrapping the tree huggers as per usual, passing the rope through the eye of the hugger and then around the open hook on the figure 9 which will be lark headed or prussicked onto the main line.
I was thinking on the other end (foot end) of continuing to use a carabiner on the webbing strap.
Cheers
Bloffy

thejungleisneutral

Walkabout
Reaction score
Great review.

I use the S-biner for my car keys, but haven't used it out bush.

The Figure 9 isa great bit of kit. I've used them to pitch the hutchie before and once (before I read about the load rating) I used them on the main suspension of my hammock. Funnily enough, they worked great all night on the hammock, but they were warped by morning and had to be beaten flat again. Not bad.