Next NSW meetings

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Lets call that date confirmed. Im in for then.

Lets set ourselves a challenge or two for the trip. No lighters or matches allowed? See if we can source and start our fires from what the bush provides. Should also give those who aren't familiar with primitive fire techniques a chance to learn also?

Last edited:

BushChef

Karen Hood
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Blake, sounds great. I think it would be wise to take a back-up firelighting kit of course, but the challenge sounds great, I'm up for it. Dates are fine for us :)

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Lepmeister, if you search google or youtube for bowdrill, it'll give you lots of hits. That's probably the best place to start with friction firemaking. Or if you want to try flint and steel (don't know if it qualifies as primitive) you can use a bit of carbon steel and quartz.

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Cheers, working the bowdrill angle for now... I use a flint and steel ATM and was with you in thinking it was not primitive enough!

HitchHiking

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I should be fine for it. I reckon a march over Mt Solitary would be a great way to arrive to Kedumba! Looking forward to it already.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
This might be the trip where we actually succeed with the fire plow...

scrumpy jack

Russell Coight
Reaction score
July 8-9 im in. never been on one of these meets read about them in the uk just before i left for au. How or what is the form for getting there? Group walk in or do we meet there? I think i might be a grand bit of fun for walking in with a few or heaps of other people.
Lets call that date confirmed. Im in for then.

Lets set ourselves a challenge or two for the trip. No lighters or matches allowed? See if we can source and start our fires from what the bush provides. Should also give those who aren't familiar with primitive fire techniques a chance to learn also?

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm happy to walk in with people.
regarding sourcing materials for primitive fire techniques, there used to be a nice stand of black boy down in the valley, but it has gradually been denuded over the last few years and now there's not much left, so maybe not a bad idea to bring your own (native) timber?

scrumpy jack

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi wentworth it will be good to get to meet you. look forward to catching up with you.
cheers scrumpy jack aka Tex from bushcraft uk

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What a good place to park the car Aris? Yeah im happy to do whatever. I'm happy to walk in with people or just meet you all down there.

peter

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I have bought Katoomba & Jamison topos. I have never been up, and over Mt Solitary, about 30years ago i i went out to Ruined Castle. The wive has given me, a leave pass, so i am chomping at the bit, to get out there. I want to try, and get about a hour in Friday, then get a early start up Mt Solitary Saturday morning. Going at a S L O W pace how long would it take, to get from Kedumba campsite, to the top of Golden stairs? Cheers Peter
Edit I posted this in the wrong thread sorry. Had a plan B, that i will post in Kedumba thread.

Last edited:

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
If we're walking in friday night, we'll be fine. UFO bases only operate 9-5, Mon to Thurs.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I saw this strange creature in the bush around there once so maybe there is some truth to it all.

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
lol here I was worrying about posting another version of the map for you all with a "what would Bear do?" track on it and now this...

darren that was classic mate, iced coffee on the keyboard here