New Member Sydney and Shoalhaven

flapper

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Frank. I'm 29, and I split my time between Sydney and around Kiama.

What a great site and initiative. Congratulations. The information I have seen is top notch (especially that plant table).

I began knapping about two years ago when I ordered a tool set, over 100 spalls (yes, the postage hurt) and some DVDs from the USA to get me going. I also managed to start a fire using the drill method (using QLD hisbiscus from a holiday). It was a real eye-gleaming and engaging period, but sadly I did not keep it up as my learning curve plateaued and I was working heavily.

I'm really hoping to now return to knapping this year, but much moreso to learn other bushcraft skills such as basket making and traditional fishing. I never feel more alive then when I'm using my hands like this.

Anyway, that's the kind of stuff I'd like to start doing regularly - somehow... I really enjoy it, but one of the big problems has always been finding people with similar interests: they seem rare (and the hobby seems more popular in the USA). I would often use books to learn, which could be very dry (and ethnography vague on technology details).

With such a array of skills to explore, I've found it quite a daunting, often frustratingly slow, solitary pursuit, and I often feel like a hopeless idealist.

The other challenge has been trying to work out a logical and fun way of structuring the journey. At the moment I have joined a bush walking club to help with plant ID and for the moment trawling forums.

I stumbled over this site the other day and am quite buoyed by its existence.

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you and, hopefully, sharing some useful knowledge from my journey.

Frank

Last edited:

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Frank welcome to the tribe... you will find plent of folks here who feel the way you do. Most of us, like you have, had the problem of going it alone and not being able to share it all with like minded people... so here we are all in one place... jump in, share what you know and ask about what you don't...

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome Frank and I must say a very engaging and inspiring opening post. I look forward to learning from you and chatting about bushcraft in the future. Basket making is something high on my list of things to learn too.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome Frank. It'd be great to see some photos of your knapping, something I've always wanted to learn.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome.
I've very keen on knapping too - there are a few of us on this site.
I've got some copper rod on order and a collection of materials, some of which I've collected my self, and some from koalaboi, who is pretty good!

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the mob mate! I am keen to learn this knapping caper.