BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New knives; Ruike P662 and CJRB Maileah

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
A couple of well liked / reviewed budget knives arrived today. I'll give a first impressions on each, following their photo. There are many reviews for either on youtube.

Ruike P662
ruike P662B.jpgruike p662b clip.jpg

Blade is under 2.91" (74mm), 14C28N steel, 66g (2.33oz). It's light, small, cheap and well made. The g10 scales are very grippy. It is a liner lock with lots of recess - it clears the blade when closing, which feels nice. My particular one has a strong detent - I don't mind that. The hard detent means it won't slow roll open - it snaps open like an auto. The hard detent means you have to use your thumb with authority and pressure. Also because the thumb stud is close to the pivot point, it's like taking off fast in 3rd gear (small lever, long travel). I bought a cjrb ria recently with the same issue, so I'm now experienced. It really is nicely made, centered, no movement etc - awesome knife.

I bought both knives from whitemountain knives in the US. The ruike is never in stock for long even though it has been around for a few years now. There is another model of this with a different blade shape - the P661.

#2, the CJRB Maileah

cjrb maileah.jpg

cjrb maileah closed.jpg

For some reason I was expecting a lesser steel on this - it has cjrb / artisan knives own ar-rpm9 steel. This is a budget powdered steel supposedly close to D2 in performance. This is a smaller knife with a 61mm blade and weighs 2.3oz (65g). The detent on this also feels strong, although this one is easy to open. I prefer the front flipper option, so I'll remove the thumb studs (they should unscrew). This can be slow rolled open with the thumbstuds - I might actually leave them in. This is well made - there is nothing unusual to point out.

Both knives have a lanyard pin in the back spacer - you can see it in the photo immediately above; the ruike is similar. I shall put a small lanyard on the Maileah just to extend the effective handle length - I can get a full grip on the ruike so it doesn't need it.

The ruike is the nicer knife to hold with thumb on the back of the blade. Holding the maileah with index finger in the finger groove and thumb on the spine of the blade means that the thumb is a fair bit forward of the index finger, unlike the ruike which has thumb and index finger closer.

Both have reasonably high flat grinds which suggests good slicing. Despite their light weight they look and feel like they'd handle hard use OK.

I'm very happy with both knives at this point - they're both a joy to hold and operate.

Last edited:

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I have both the Ruike 661 and 662 ...
Fantastic fidget knives .
14c28n & Ruike ... = Disappointing edge holding .. Bolted together great , but that edge holding was lacking .. ( I had 3 Ruike )
I think Ruike is using another steel now ( option ) in the 661 / 662 ...
I have both the 661 and 662 still , but gave the larger one away . ( Fidget real nice )

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Both nice looking knives Randall.
I'm a fan of any of the wharncliffe style blades with a straight-ish edge.
Let us know how they go.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Found it = 154cm ( The other blade steel option )
It looks similar but has a few differences which really make it a different knife. Blade is shorter, titanium framelock, the blade steel, and 3x the price. Whitemountain have the framelock version for $80, the original is $28 (both US $). The new version is in stock, the old version is again out of stock :D.

Whitemountain are using the photo of the original for the new one; the blade actually looks different (shorter) on the new one.

ruike frame lock.png

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I sent out an email requesting a 661 TZ test sample ( 154cm ) from Ruike ..

Yeah , not sure they will give a Huffin Stuff ... But nothing ventured .

And no way am I shelling out $ on a Ruike , not after 3 knives with poor edge retention .
And the TZ is expensive . I saw the Ruike 661 B going for less than $60 bananas around Christmas .. Was it $54 or something .
But the TZ is $160+ in Australia and you can get one out of the USA for $130 AUS shipped .
Aaargh ! Is it a $100 banana + knife ?
For $160 bananas (?) there is a lot of competition out there .
How would you feel if a $60 or $70 banana knife kicked your $160 banana knife to the curb and stomped on it ? ( This is the knife market today )

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
It looks similar but has a few differences which really make it a different knife. Blade is shorter, titanium framelock, the blade steel, and 3x the price. Whitemountain have the framelock version for $80, the original is $28 (both US $). The new version is in stock, the old version is again out of stock :D.

Whitemountain are using the photo of the original for the new one; the blade actually looks different (shorter) on the new one.

View attachment 28892

It's G10 on one side , and frame lock on the other side ..
So on the G10 side it looks like the old knife ..

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Both nice looking knives Randall.
I'm a fan of any of the wharncliffe style blades with a straight-ish edge.
Let us know how they go.
I wouldn't recommend them to someone who is new to knives (folders), unless they're keen on mastering the action (as I was). My ruike could be a one off stiff detent, but it is still geared pretty high re distance of thumbstud from pivot point. Reviewers don't tend to point these things out - I think it is because they simply adapt; years of experience operating all sorts of knives. You can adjust the detent; basically pull the knife apart and straighten the liner lock a little bit. I won't because it does cause some degree of metal fatigue, but it is what many others do.

I think you'd like the ruike, but you'd have to consider the steel as old450 has pointed out. It looks to be similar to vg10

Last edited:

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
How would you feel if a $60 or $70 banana knife kicked your $160 banana knife to the curb and stomped on it
:D I think that's why we tend to buy budget knives. I don't like spending too much on anything because I want to feel good using it - things get damaged and worn. Also I still consider myself a student when it comes to sharpening; probably always will be :oops:

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you'd like the ruike, but you'd have to consider the steel as old450 has pointed out. It looks to be similar to vg10

Thanks Randall, I seem to be one of the strange few who like the steels without a bunch of carbides, like 12c27, VG10, Aus8 and even Victorinox inox steel.

I have some Hap40 and K390 which I can get to a hair popping edge, but because I mostly use the knives for wood carving (when I was carving regularly) I'd end up sharpening a few hours into a session, so softer steels were easy for me to get back the edge.

I haven't tried 14c28n, but it should be ok for me, and hopefully a step up from inox!

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I haven't tried 14c28n
when you consider those ruike knives, there is nearly a 50% improvement in cutting (154cm vs 14c28n), but the price is 3x more. There is a titanium framelock; I actually prefer liner locks because you're not squeezing directly on the lock whenever you hold the knife. Admittedly testing only gives a ballpark figure of what you might have, especially with the heat treat variables.

If you do order from whitemountain, you will probably have to put a "notify me" on the knife - they email you when it is in stock. To mitigate postage costs I usually buy two knives from them :D. For example my last order was 2 knives $62.94; with a discount code (which will work for anyone) LTK (10% discount, LTK is for the youtuber Luv Them Knives). Then shipping was $12.99 for a total of $69.63 (all US $). That is A$96.22.

Update: I just remembered my choice of knife for bushcrafting and hard use. You may not think it but the blade shape really lends itself to carving, especially if you're working on a surface. It's cheap, chunky, heavy, tough, good steel, and a good standard of manufacture. Not a big knife; blade is 2.76" (70mm). I'd never make a spoon or bowl, but I did use this (along with an axe) to make a baton out of very hard wood. I use that baton a lot in the garage.

Last edited: