BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

• As of the 01/01/2023 the Bushcraft Oz Forum is now closed and has been placed in Archive mode. New Posts and Post Replies have been disabled but existing content can still be viewed. For more information please see the following post for more infomation. It is our goal to retain the wondeful contributions to the Bushcraft community over the years and a more appropriate way of displaying this is being considered for the future so the information is not lost. A perminent web archive of the forum state as of 30 Jan 2022 has been captured and can be viewed herea>.

Thank you all for a wonderful adventure and for your contributions over the years!

New Knife hits FeeBay - Outdoor Life

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
outdoor life.jpg

I ordered one - Not this one ...
Same knife different seller and around 50% less $$

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score

1st = My cam batteries blow chunk 's ( Getting old ) The cam battery gave out ! I used to get 45 minutes of recording from a battery . Now it looks like the cam battery is throwing in the towel around 10 minutes .

Outdoorlife - Camping Chef Knife

Product code - OL-FIX0020GN
Blade steel - 7cr17mov ( 6" ) Full Tang , Flat Grind
55HRC file bites / 50HRC file skates
Dual injected nylon fibre handle
Nylon fibre sheath
Limited Lifetime Warranty ( ? ) Limited ? ( Limited to what ? )
Made in - China
Price - FeeBay = $100 Aus region / Xhunter = $60 Aus bananas .

First impressions

The knife is very light , this might be because of the ( Thickest part of the blade is 2.7mm and tapers from there down ) relatively thin blade . I am quite easily able to flex / bend the blade with my bare hands ( much like a Mora blade ) . The grip is plastic / nylon material with what feels like a rubberised centre section . It is quite comfortable to hold in the hand . The spine of the blade is quite terrible at ferro and throws minimal sparkly material for fire starting .

The knife fits the sheath rather well , there is no slop to speak of . I would like to see the knife lock into the sheath a little better . As for the factory edge ? It did slice paper ok , but even to the naked eye it looked a little ? I resharpened the knife on my guided knife sharpener and then stropped it . Edge is now at 20 degrees , and the factory bevel looked to be maybe 18 degrees . ( Chefs Knife )

So next I will have to see how it goes with the guided 20 degree edge at the rope. ( 180 grit diamond )

Last edited:

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Ok , the 20 degree guided knife sharpener edge hits the rope !

A) It never felt good , honestly , it felt like a butter knife from the start .
B) Yeah , it was a fail at 50 slices , that's not good at all .
C) I put the knife the the wet stone grinder and put a 60 grit ground edge on it .

With the 60 grit ground edge the knife feels slice 'y .
Back to the rope we go , with hopefully a better edge . ( hopefully - I mean , some people want $100+ bananas for this knife )

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score

Lets get right to it - a 350 slice fail ! ( 60 grit ground edge around 20 degrees )
That is only 300 slices more than the guided knife sharpener edge !
What the parking lot ? That is a huge difference of around 600% ( Actually its 700% but 600% more )
That's huge !

Is it because the blade is so thin ? and it might be flexing ?
On the wet stone grinder I use very little pressure , so there would be little in the way of flexing if any .
Or was there bad steel ? That then got ground away ?

Cant say ! Without LAB equipment , guess and speculate away !

But , $60 Aus banana knife is good for a 350 fail , and the edge strops back , but not as well as other knives .
It was a tricky edge that took a fair amount of effort to strop back ..

Edge was ground as near 20 degrees as possible .. Might be a little less but not less than 18 degrees .
Since the edge did not appear to roll , can we tighten the bevel ?

Is the knife worth $60 bananas Australian , I would say sure .
As long as you have a way to squeeze decent edge retention from the knife . ( 350 is very decent )
But would I feel the same way paying $120 bananas Aus for it . Not really .
It's bolted together on the budget side . Nylon this N that , 7cr17mov steel . = Budget !
So it should be budget priced .
It's comfortable to use , I had to grind the spine of the blade to make it ferro friendly .
I had to tweak the sheath a little to make the knife Uber snug like a bug in a rug !
The blade is thin and flexible ( flexes a lot when stropping ) .
These things are not deal breakers ..
But the knife is very budget built ! & if it's not budget priced ! ( That rhyme & reason thing )
At $60 Aus Bananas , I would call that the upper limit of perhaps what you should be paying ( that's just my opinion from owning this knife )

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score

Processing some wood ..
A) The blade is too flexible ..
B) The knife does roll a little in the hand ( maybe due to the flex )
C) It is comfortable to use

Yeah , I think if this was you only knife .. It would be ok for light duty ( like a folding knife )
Not particularly good at wood processing , didn't roll the edge or anything ( which is good )
I did sharpen the spine on the grinder , so it throws ferro now .
Also scrapes the wood really nicely ( spine )
Over all , maybe a slightly Ho Hum knife for Bushcrafting .
But might make for a decent meat processor .