New in Sydney

Diddymao

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hey all

New in western Sydney ( glenfield).
I've just emigrated from Wales in the UK.
I'm totally lost here so I'm looking to make new camping/ hiking buddy's.
I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the rules regarding where I can camp, can I light a fire? Where can I hike?
Been doing a lot of reading but their is nothing like local knowledge 😀.
Anyhow Amy help or advice you could give me would be great.
Thanks for taking the time.
Diddy

Askew

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
The blue mountains are nice when they're not on fire, close enough to Sydney that you could head up for the day to go bushwalking.

Lee90

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Welcome Diddy,
Are you from North or South Wales? I’m from near Liverpool so I was in North Wales a lot for days out and camping trips when I lived over there.
I live near Brisbane so a little far to be a adventure buddy unfortunately lol.

I am sure you will get all the info you need on here.
Cheers Lee

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Welcome to Oz and your new home at Western Sydney a location which gives quite easy access to the Blue Mountains and National Parks.

Due to the drought campfires are out I am afraid which is quite understandable due to the fire danger.

A nice day walk would be Mt Banks which is along the Bells Line of Road, not to far from Sydney. Near Mt Wilson. Take the high track which gives you magnificent views of the Grose Valley. A bit steepish but worth the effort, have seen family groups with children there so not to difficult.

Being summer a hat and water bottle . Good idea to look at the NP&WS website and check out whether there are any alerts or closures due to bushfires.

Govetts Leap Lookout which is near Blackheath has stunning views. Plenty to see in the Blue Mountains.

Diddymao

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for all the responses, I'm from Cardiff in South Wales, I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to UK camping, but I feel a little out of my depth here.
I have all my own kit so really just looking for a buddy if anyone is up for it?

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hi and welcome my advice is don’t worry to much about rules just use your common sense and you should be fine oh and don’t stand under any trees Drop Bear could get you

RottenHopeless

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hey Diddy, I would be up for some day walks to get you introduced to some of our Blue Mountain specialities. I live at the base of the Blue Mountains at North Richmond and have done a track or two around the mountains in my time. Give us a little time to get over the silly season with family commitments and I am sure we can book in a walk or two to start off the new year.

Diddymao

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hey Diddy, I would be up for some day walks to get you introduced to some of our Blue Mountain specialities. I live at the base of the Blue Mountains at North Richmond and have done a track or two around the mountains in my time. Give us a little time to get over the silly season with family commitments and I am sure we can book in a walk or two to start off the new year.
Thanks mate have sent you a private message 👍