New Axe - Helko Werk

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that Hults Bruk are the best value axes as far as I can see. Most Husquavanna hatchets and axes are made by Hults Bruk. But seems like a drop in fit and finish when sent out with the Husquavanna tag. Overall Hults Bruk my need a little bit of a tune up when new but are great tools. Gransfors Bruk are perfect out the box but the price tags are getting crazy and are only getting higher.

If you are near a Husquavanna store in Australia it my be the best way to go if you what a good axe/hatchet at a fair price. I was keen to try a Rhineland/German style hatchet as far as I can see Hults Bruk don't make one.

I have my eye on these two tools made by Hults Bruk/Husquavanna the grinding stone and hand hatchet.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I think that Hults Bruk are the best value axes as far as I can see. Most Husquavanna hatchets and axes are made by Hults Bruk. But seems like a drop in fit and finish when sent out with the Husquavanna tag. Overall Hults Bruk my need a little bit of a tune up when new but are great tools. Gransfors Bruk are perfect out the box but the price tags are getting crazy and are only getting higher.

If you are near a Husquavanna store in Australia it my be the best way to go if you what a good axe/hatchet at a fair price. I was keen to try a Rhineland/German style hatchet as far as I can see Hults Bruk don't make one.

I have my eye on these two tools made by Hults Bruk/Husquavanna the grinding stone and hand hatchet.

View attachment 26262View attachment 26261

Ah... good for you too confirm Hults Bruk are the best value axes and it is them that make the Husquvanna heads then.

Its a shame Hultz Bruk don't make the Reinland land design hatchet you were after... Perhaps you could find something used, if its not pressing. You are good at that.

I know what you mean about Husquvanna's fit and finish. Its not great. I was just thinking of your mentioned budget. According to SkillCut a complete re-tune was required, the head only had about 33% contact with the handle when he took it off to tune it. You'd think they could of at least got that bit right, surely doesn't take much thesedays.

That is a beautiful little hand hatchet by Hults Bruk. I have a hatchet like that and apparently it can fell a tree if necessary! It would be a great small projects carving tool, like for making bowls, batons and cups. I think you will like it, and a stone too, both should last a long time(y) Let us know what you choose:)

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a really quick follow up on the that my help someone out following this thread. I was at the local Husquvanna shop today and got to have a look at the axes. All looked hand forged with the Husquvanna logo and leather mask. Handles had some run out and okay grain orientation. Also they all used German style barrel wedges. The handles seem to not to have been oiled or varnished just raw wood.

Fit and finish was not high as my Wetterlings or Gransfors Bruk but nothing to horrible bad. Getting one new you my need to do some sharping and oiling of the wooden handle. So can not confirm Hults Bruk are the maker any more but it must them or Gransfors.?

Last edited:

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like at the moment at least Hultafors get the axes made by Hults Bruk. Looks like thay are just rebranded with the Hultafors name . As I understand it there are only factory's left that make axes in Sweden Hults Bruk and Gransfors. There are some really small axe makers but that is the last two big works left