New Axe - Helko Werk

ozslon

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Came across this brand and was very intrigued by the pricing. Also friend of mine bought classic line hatchet. I went to have a look and couldn't believe that this thing cost $45. It didn't take long and had 2 of traditional line axes in my hands. I have decided to get the woodworker ones as I just love those heads for some strange reason :)

First the cons: the biggest one is a sheath. While it is made of leather (it seems) the quality is just horrendous. Thin leather, not fitted properly, feels like it has not been tanned at all. To be honest may be I just ask too much as I was kinda hoping for at least Hultafors quality. Second, manufacturer claiming handmade axe production and I can definitely see evidence of that on heads, but there is definitely visible machining on the top and bottom of the head so its a bit strange.

Now the pros: the biggest one is quality. IMHO it is on a par with Wetterlings. It is not as good as GB, but definitely quality made product. Heads are handmade (top and bottom definitely machined). Wonderfully finished handles, woodgrain and finish.
Now the price: $83 for the hatchet and $106 for the axe. Those are the Fiskars sweet spot. It seems that in US (Amazon) those prices almost double so not bad at all.

Axes came dull and I understand that's how factory does them. Took no time to get them shaving sharp. Heads came in some kind of lacquer, interesting idea from rust prevention point of view. Axe happily took almost two coats of linseed oil, however the hatchet didn't want to take even a single one, again very strange

So here you have it, Wetterlings for the Fiskars money. It is obviously not just about the money, but the workmanship.

The classic line cost is the half price of traditional, again my understanding that those are made to some handmade degree, but heads are the polished ones.

Cheers

DSC01439.jpgDSC01440.jpgDSC01441.jpgDSC01443.jpgDSC01444.jpgDSC01446.jpgDSC01447.jpgDSC01449.jpgDSC01476.jpgDSC01452.jpgDSC01454.jpgDSC01455.jpgDSC01457.jpgDSC01458.jpgDSC01459.jpgDSC01460.jpgDSC01462.jpgDSC01464.jpgDSC01465.jpgDSC01466.jpgDSC01468.jpgDSC01470.jpgDSC01472.jpgDSC01473.jpgDSC01475.jpg

lever

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up about this "new to me" brand. I have an old beater Fiskars and also carve with a GB Small Hatchet. I will be looking in the near future for something that i can store under the back seat of the 4x4 to always have one in the bush and perhaps this is the way to go? One thinking that worries me is the quality of the edge as my axe sharpening skills are kind of lacking at the moment. . .

ozslon

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Axe sharpening is easy mate. Just watch wranglerstar axe sharpening video and you will have it sharpened in no time. Axe don't need to be shaving sharp but it will be as your skills will go up. Axe is much more forgiving especially for $100 versus $200 knife if you know what I mean

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
thanks for the heads up, just grabbed two of the classic line

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
mine arrived, really impressed for the price. The larger half axe is a second, I'm not Ray Mears but honestly can't see anything wrong with it...for $33 is amazing value

20170420_095303.jpg

ozslon

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
mine arrived, really impressed for the price. The larger half axe is a second, I'm not Ray Mears but honestly can't see anything wrong with it...for $33 is amazing value

View attachment 24030
Yep exactly my point mate. Steel also seems to be quality one. Edge retention on my traditional ones is insane. Went through crap loads of wood and still can cut the paper with no issues
I do believe now that it is German made đŸ˜€

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Yep exactly my point mate. Steel also seems to be quality one. Edge retention on my traditional ones is insane. Went through crap loads of wood and still can cut the paper with no issues
I do believe now that it is German made ��
I've just ordered a traditional one :) Cant wait to get home from work, sharpen these up and start attacking some wood

peter.robinson

RĂ¼diger Nehberg
Reaction score
Mine have arrived and look quite good. A classic hatchet and classic half axe. I hope to try them out next week after giving them a good sharpening.

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I've been nothing but pleased with mine...especially for the price

Ended up stripping off the varnish finish and applying some gun blue....The polished head was abit blingy for me

Axe.jpg

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Hi All,
I ordered 2 last night from these guys. The traditional woodworker hatchet and the topline woodworker axe. Fathers day present to myself. Read plenty of reviews and they seem like excellent value for money. Can't wait for them to get here and put them to good use.

Cheers

CarboneOpinel

Russell Coight
Reaction score
The camping hatchet looks interesting as well, a more fully covered axe head and wrist thong.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for the bumping a old thread..I have been keen to try the Rhineland/German style hatchet and was toy of getting one of these. Seems that prices have gone up and you are now looking at least $100 now. Stihl do a Rhineland hatchet with an ash handed for $55 and my be the best budget around hatchet locally.

There is not much between in the mid range market of axes or hatchets. It go's form Saxon tools made in China to Hulk Bruks with not much in-between.

Last edited:

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Sorry for the bumping a old thread..I have been keen to try the Rhineland/German style hatchet and was toy of getting one of these. Seems that prices have gone up and you are now looking at least $100 now. Stihl do a Rhineland hatchet with an ash handed for $55 and my be the best budget around hatchet locally.

There is not much between in the mid range market of axes or hatchets. It go's form Saxon tools made in China to Hulk Bruks with not much in-between.

I think I may be able to help. Husquavanna do a 3/4 axe in Australia that is meant to be a bargain and a good axe for the price, about $80-$90 last time I looked. I considered but went Gransfors Bruk, as you know. I don't know if Husquavana do a hatchet. BUT, their heads are hand forged (in the modern process, but still by hand) and they are fully made in Sweden by someone, possibly Wetterlings, I cant remember, sorry, but its on You Tube. Their hatchet is likely to be cheaper than their 3/4 axe, maybe $65?. Handles are also genuine hickory- the best. Just make sure you hand pick your handle, as only about 15% of Husquavanna handles are any good, IMO, with grain run off and off grain alignment with the head. This isn't too much of an issue with a hatchet though, or so I have heard. I'm no axe expert, but I did a lot of research on them recently. Skillcut (you tube) reviewed the value of the Husquavanna axe. I hope this helps, instead of leading you up the garden path!

Last edited: