Never Leave Without These

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
…. and I've heard tell you can strike a spark from a FRED.
I haven't tried, but when I remember I keep thinking I must give it a go

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I've been after the the sharp triangle shaped tin opener/punch , but hard to come by . Years ago you always carried one for your can of beer .

Leglesslarry

Russell Coight
Reaction score
U gotta hunt the junk shops, tip shops etc Salvos, im always looking for useful things if I spot one ill grab them , let ya know

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
They used to come in rat packs - one in a pack. If you know someone in the army? Perhaps rat packs have changed too?

Also, consider a swiss army pocket knife - all those things and more of whatever you want. They use a similar style of can opener too.

Bushdoc

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
…. and I've heard tell you can strike a spark from a FRED.
I haven't tried, but when I remember I keep thinking I must give it a go
1. You can.
2. some of the commercial similar can openers won't last a single can. TEST them before you rely on them.
3. FREDs can also be used to strike a spark on a brick or similar surface: sugar, Condy's crystals, grind to a smooth powder. Place on brick. Press down firmly with FRED and move to create friction.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
FRED's are getting really expensive to buy now on Ebay, you used to be able to get them cheap off Ebay but as the idea of prepping and EDC'ing grew the price increased.

You can still get P51/P38's reasonably cheap but IMHO the FRED is superior.

Thankfully I was able to secure a large quantity recently of FRED's so I am set as I like to include one in each of my kits.