BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ned Kelly Wood Stove

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I am calling this the "Ned Kelly" wood stove. It reminds me a bit of the armour helmet worn by the famous bushranger.
FB_IMG_1659340887143.jpg The stove is improved from a old charcoal BBQ chimney starter. I found in a chimney and the old wire rack on the roadside clean up.
FB_IMG_1659340900024.jpgFairly easy to make just cut out the door of the firewood and remove the handle. Is similar to the classic hobbo stove but bigger and more robust.
FB_IMG_1659340873103.jpgWorks well for a semi-permanent shelter site but a tad heavy duty to carry in the pack for long periods.
FB_IMG_1659340879968.jpg

Chigger

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Very effective. I have a similar sort of stove made out of gas cylinders. Keeps the fire contained minimising the chance of accidental fire. Particulry when wind is blowing can place a sheet of metal over the top closing the fire in.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Very effective. I have a similar sort of stove made out of gas cylinders. Keeps the fire contained minimising the chance of accidental fire. Particulry when wind is blowing can place a sheet of metal over the top closing the fire in.
I do love playing around with this kind of stuff. Certainly it a bit of a mind set to make usefull things out of "trash".