Navigation Skills MASSIVELY PIC HEAVY

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
These tutorials will be based on work I did several years ago to develop a system of teaching navigation in the worst possible place. A classroom.

This is a very basic Nav Tutorial and as such I will only be talking about orienteering compasses and topographic maps and some of their uses.

The copyright on the material remains mine and it is provided solely for the members on this forums personal use only. Use for any other purpose requires you to ask me first... I have a lot more that I can provide, it is worth your while to ask.

These things I will give tutorials on are just tools, as owning woodworking tools do not make you a woodworker, so these tools do not make you a navigator... unless you practice the skills and this should be done in a controlled environment.

If this is really popular and time permits I may do an advanced course for you all...

Lesson 1

First rule of Navigation.

Use Every piece of information you can obtain... Don't rely on just one.

Last edited:

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
great idea very clear pic and explainations easy to follow

Last edited:

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
graet idea very clear pic and explainations easy to follow
Cheers mate, but heaps still to come about 1/4 there.... This is a poor way to teach nav skills by any measure, but the best I could come up with for the classroom environment, where of course the students can follow along with their own maps and compass. Should still be useful to members though

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is really well displayed and presented mate! This will be really usefull for alot of people I imagine, including me! I look forward to the rest of the slides. I feel a sticky comming on so feel free.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Bearings

OK so you paid attention? Well here is a test kindly shown to me by Templar that uses these basic skills.

http://geographyfieldwork.com/Compass/randomMap.html

Next subject.... Maps and topography interpretation.

By the way the slides that look like they are repeated would make perfect sense in a slide show acting as clunky animations showing the movement being performed.

Last edited:

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Brilliant Teacher
done the test got A certificate After 1 attempt:)

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
This is an excellent thread Corin; and very well illustrated!

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
I deleted a fair bit of material putting this thread together, if there is something you want more info or clarification on, or if continuity has been lost, you see any errors... or if you have any constructive criticism or suggestion, Fire away!

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Corin, quite simply- you rock! Thank you.
I am not so sure about that Mr Monk! :non sono stato io: But thanks and I hope you find the info of some use. If there is anything in particular you want to know just ask!

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Thanks Corin for providing your tutorial. Great start for me to learn and absorb information. Saves Auscraft having a stroke when I don't click onto basic information.
I find this subject very difficult for some reason. Now I have a visual, will give me a better chance to understand at my own pace.
Dusty

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
tho I haven't had the chance to read this tut in total, from what I have read it is great, thanks mate for posting, informative, clear and concise.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
tho I haven't had the chance to read this tut in total, from what I have read it is great, thanks mate for posting, informative, clear and concise.
No worries I hope it is useful to you guys.

payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
thanks corin this is a very easy to follow tutorial will it continue to more advanced navigation?
I would like to be able to determine my exact position on a map (without using the long/lat on my GPS)
i could therefor mark a camp when hunting and if the batteries went flat in GPS i could locate my self then
use a bearing to get back to my camp say in low visibility or at night.

Tom

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
thanks corin this is a very easy to follow tutorial will it continue to more advanced navigation?
I would like to be able to determine my exact position on a map (without using the long/lat on my GPS)
i could therefor mark a camp when hunting and if the batteries went flat in GPS i could locate my self then
use a bearing to get back to my camp say in low visibility or at night.
I have been meaning to write one up for a while. I am camping in a few weeks so I will take a video and a heap of pics and create a how-to.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have been meaning to write one up for a while. I am camping in a few weeks so I will take a video and a heap of pics and create a how-to.
Awesome, look forward to it mate!