Navigation Quiz

lou1661

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I hope that you dont mind me having a go at the navigation quiz, just a quick question the symbols that are used in the quiz are they the standard map symbols that are used. I only ask as i am planning a trip to you next year and thought i could give myself a helping hand by learing your mapping before i go.

Cheers for your help.

Louis

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I hope that you dont mind me having a go at the navigation quiz, just a quick question the symbols that are used in the quiz are they the standard map symbols that are used. I only ask as i am planning a trip to you next year and thought i could give myself a helping hand by learing your mapping before i go.

Cheers for your help.

Louis
Hi Louis,

Yes they are the "standard" Geoscience Australia symbols.
As well as NATMAPS, the symbols are used by the respective state topo series' and have (to some extent) used by many map makers, although it is not a "Standard" per se.

Its well worth being familiar withe the range of symbols present on maps (as well as knowing how use a map and compass of course).

Have a bash at the quiz and see how you go. Feel free to ask about navigation of you have any questions