Native Loo Paper

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Having been caught short once or twice on a long run, I know from necessity that crumpled up fern leaves work really well. Not only can you keep your fingers away from anything unpleasant, but the texture is just right for wiping out Klingons. Actually surprisingly soothing, though perhaps that was just the sensation of relief. Certainly no skin reaction, at least for me.

Don’t know the species I used, but at least it looked very similar to this:

http://www.home.aone.net.au/~byzantium/ferns/descriptions/culcita/culcita.html

Cheers

Taplow

PS. Not sure how pleased I am that my first real post is on this subject but I suppose it is important bushcraft.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Bracken is meant to cause stomach cancer in cultures that consume a lot of it. Hope using it as loo paper won't have the spores getting where they can do damage :_l:

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
how much protetion do you think a 5 thou piece of tissue paper gives your hand?
Darren is quite right, I've seen the cultures resulting from leakthrough, quite disturbing. On the other hand (no pun intended) your own bacteria are unikely to pose a microbial risk, (unless you keep your food a long time after cooking) since they have already colonised you internally.

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
You're right Wentworth, I've just been reading about a carcinogen found in bracken spores. I will still use it in an emergency - I think I'm more at risk from all the chemicals such as bleach and dioxins in normal toilet paper.

Steve

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Great thread!!

Ill add what i have found good info to do with number 2's :)

I believe diet is most important, what you put in will invariably show what comes out in a matter of speaking.

Ok so i have found eating psylium husks, not raw but with water or juice taken before bed makes for a sometimes nice and clean morning press.:)

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Best thing by far I ever used for this is Sphagnum moss.Had a go at paperbark for the first time the other day not too bad.

GTVi

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Fresh green clumps of wild grass (assuming its available)...well thats what worked for me when touring the south of Europe. (yes I'm a scruncher)

Steve

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Chuugi. That's smart.

No transfer of faecal matter to the hands of fingers and can be washed off and placed on the fire to sanitise or for disposal.
You would want to make sure the wood doesnt have any splinters, OUCH !!!

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
That would work....

When I was in Timor, the locals used corn cobs, three wipes per cob... they actually have little hammocks next to the squat loo full of them for this purpose...

Blackhawk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
My brother always said to wipe your arse with a smooth stick because he stirred his cuppa with rough ones:_risata:

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
There's always the cigarette paper trick. Take a single cigarette paper, fold it in half and half the other way. Tear out the centrepiece so when you open it there is a single hole in middle of paper. put this piece in your pocket. Do your business, put your finger through the hole and wipe (similar to Templar's one sheet so far). Reverse the fold and wipe of your finger. Discard. Take the small centre piece and clean under your nail. Discard. Job's done.
Cheers
Bloffy

Kindliing

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
27080IMG_20200314_111254.jpg

Thought I'd revisit this again under the recent circumstances. (Re: the unprepared panicking about such things).
Not I !

Here's some options,
1.actual toilet paper.
2.kfc wipes.
3.take away napkins.
7 X 420 cm green square cloth sheets (adf surplus).
5.sorbent flushable wipes.
6.zip lock bags for keeping dry , and also then seperate.

Last edited:

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I've always used snow, when in the snow. It is kind of better than water because you don't get that wet and it does wipe. You do have to consider when the snow melts though, pick somewhere that is fair distance from a creek or river so that it can have time to filter. I have spent much time in SE Asia using mandi - most commonly like a small plastic pot of water and your left hand. It's an ancient custom and would have been fine when populations weren't so dense, or rural areas where your hands would soon be scrubbed clean from physical work. Also, the mandi came about in much warmer climes and traditionally sarong wearing populations and much different diet. The world has changed. 30 years ago it was common to see a group of women up to their breasts in a river all talking to each other while they were having a poo. Our populations are too great for that now. I also remember a huge road house for trucks and busses - it was on a lake. The toilets were over the lake - fish would be waiting eagerly underneath. Guess what was on the menu :oops: Shitting in rice paddies was also common practice as a win win.

I carry toilet paper with me now and dig a bit of a hole. Toilet paper is an eye sore but breaks down quickly even in a shallow hole. I always try to go somewhere that is unlikely to be walked which is usually very easy where I go - and also somewhere that won't run into a water source. I used to use leaves and grasses - most leaves are like magazine paper :LOL:, and most grasses in the bush are dry and hardy :(; bits and pieces usually come out in the shower :LOL:. Mosses are awesome, but very slow growing here - so I don't use them. I too have been giving this some thought, more for at home though. As an aside, we usually keep about a two week supply of everything - kind of prepper mentality. As a backup we have a box of Scott Essential Jumbo Toilet Tissue Roll - 8 Pack (2400m of Tissue). They're meant for those toilet roll holders that you see in some public toilets. I think we got it at bunnings. It doesn't take up much space and should last a long time. We've had it for a couple of years not having to use it yet. I still hope to hear some good ideas for alternatives though :)

Last edited:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
When there is no fire ban, I carry a lighter in my ablutions bag and burn the toilet paper as much as I can before back filling.

Kindliing

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I've always used snow, when in the snow. It is kind of better than water because you don't get that wet and it does wipe. You do have to consider when the snow melts though, pick somewhere that is fair distance from a creek or river so that it can have time to filter. I have spent much time in SE Asia using mandi - most commonly like a small plastic pot of water and your left hand. It's an ancient custom and would have been fine when populations weren't so dense, or rural areas where your hands would soon be scrubbed clean from physical work. Also, the mandi came about in much warmer climes and traditionally sarong wearing populations and much different diet. The world has changed. 30 years ago it was common to see a group of women up to their breasts in a river all talking to each other while they were having a poo. Our populations are too great for that now. I also remember a huge road house for trucks and busses - it was on a lake. The toilets were over the lake - fish would be waiting eagerly underneath. Guess what was on the menu :oops: Shitting in rice paddies was also common practice as a win win.

I carry toilet paper with me now and dig a bit of a hole. Toilet paper is an eye sore but breaks down quickly even in a shallow hole. I always try to go somewhere that is unlikely to be walked which is usually very easy where I go - and also somewhere that won't run into a water source. I used to use leaves and grasses - most leaves are like magazine paper :LOL:, and most grasses in the bush are dry and hardy :(; bits and pieces usually come out in the shower :LOL:. Mosses are awesome, but very slow growing here - so I don't use them. I too have been giving this some thought, more for at home though. As an aside, we usually keep about a two week supply of everything - kind of prepper mentality. As a backup we have a box of Scott Essential Jumbo Toilet Tissue Roll - 8 Pack (2400m of Tissue). They're meant for those toilet roll holders that you see in some public toilets. I think we got it at bunnings. It doesn't take up much space and should last a long time. We've had it for a couple of years not having to use it yet. I still hope to hear some good ideas for alternatives though :)
Good to know , although not much snow up here mate 😁 I'm sure that would be a brisk awakening .

About the rice paddies , makes good sense too .
I know someone who had a porta loo on a bush block for a while , they fashioned some kind of pump to empty it out ,
Which then went straight onto the pumpkin patch.

It was a sandy tea tree country type block that was difficult to grow things on.

Those pumpkins however grew huge vines and heaps of healthy pumpkins .
He told me later he had given those pumpkins away to the neighbours , and they laughed and called them dump-kins. Lol

I think those leaves would also make pretty descent toilet paper if it came down to it.

They're strong enough , big enough , and not too slick. 27081IMG_20200314_182949.jpg