BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant Native Currrant?

calc

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Came across this last week in the royal national park. There were alot of these on the path. I have searched around and I think that these are Native currents or Leptomeria acidia. You cant see it in the photo, but some of them had a purple tinge on top.
The one difference I noticed was that these seem to have quite large bunches, where as the pics on the net seem to show them more dispersed. Sorry for the pic quality.
Would be gratefulIMG_20141115_140237[1].jpg if someone could identify them for me.

Thanks,

Christian

koalaboi

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Looks like a geebung species to me.

What sort of bark and even better, do you have a picture of the flowers?

KB

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with the others.

The extended tip on the fruits is quite a distinctive feature of geebungs; (although you can't use that in isolation to identify them).
They will be hard and inedible while still on the tree.

koalaboi

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Hi,

The plants can vary quite a bit in a range of characteristics: leaves and bark especially but the flowers are nearly identical:

KB

imagesCB6105BO.jpg

Last edited:

calc

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Looking at the pick in the links, I think that you guys are right.
Unfortunately I didnt get any more photos, it was about to rain and I had a ways to go before camp. I am hoping to get back there tomorrow and get some, there were heaps on the ground.
i will try to get some more photos and let you know how it goes.

Christian

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Calc. We were in RNP a few weeks back and saw lots of the persoonia fruit hanging so low that the branches were nearly down to the ground. They weren't quite ripe enough for eating at the time.
But we did see native currants (and ate quite a few too) which are much smaller in size.