My NEW 2nd hand Kayak refurbishment

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Snagged a top deal on this kayak, its in very good condition body wise, needs new deck lines, the rudder needs work, control lines stuffed, hatch covers AWOL and inner foot peddles look to have bits missing. I like a challenge :)

Taking the rudder to work with me today, it has bent control arms and just needs TLC.

here is a photo

20190503_082549.jpg
as you can see we have Hobies as well, also have a timber canoe,
a wave ski another sit in kayak and a SOT kayak . . . like I REALLY NEED another ... i am hopeless for a bargain

20190508_150010.jpg

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Woohoo. Gee, not sure about the shape of the hatches - makes them harder to seal (think surf). Make sure the covers are a good tight fit. Armorall is awesome for the top deck if it has been exposed to much sun. It looks a good size - not too big for navigating surf to get in and out of the beach.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Woohoo. Gee, not sure about the shape of the hatches - makes them harder to seal (think surf). Make sure the covers are a good tight fit. Armorall is awesome for the top deck if it has been exposed to much sun. It looks a good size - not too big for navigating surf to get in and out of the beach.

Hey Randell, i am not to worried about absolute water tight, will be sticking to flat water as much as i can, the front hatch will prob take most of the wash tho ... The hatch holes are very oval, I can buy after market rubber hatch covers but at any where from $85 plus for one, i am a bit shocked. Where i work they build / restore WW2 air craft so hoping one of the guys may take pity and make me two light aluminium covers. :p

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Do the hatches have a flange? If so you could rig a cover with a sheet of rubber and some shock cord with a toggle...

Disclaimer I know nothing about canoes....

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
[
Hey Randell, i am not to worried about absolute water tight, will be sticking to flat water as much as i can, the front hatch will prob take most of the wash tho ... The hatch holes are very oval, I can buy after market rubber hatch covers but at any where from $85 plus for one, i am a bit shocked. Where i work they build / restore WW2 air craft so hoping one of the guys may take pity and make me two light aluminium covers. :p
If you don't have covers and you're trying to do it cheap, I'd recommend neoprene. You might be able to get generic neoprene hatches on ebay even? The originals would have been neoprene with shock cord or rubber with lips. Sooner or later you will roll over - so you might as well learn to roll :), which actually isn't that hard. I got my first roll after a half hour session in an indoor pool. It's all in the hip flick - try not to use your paddle. I used to hand roll in white water. So having a good seal will help. Also, even if you don't learn to roll, when you do go upside down, and leave the boat, the boat is so much harder to work with when the hatches are full of water as well as the cockpit. Water tight hatches - say 80 liters total front and back? That's 80 kg if full of water on top of what is in the cockpit (another 60 to 80?). Something to think about.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Do the hatches have a flange? If so you could rig a cover with a sheet of rubber and some shock cord with a toggle...

Disclaimer I know nothing about canoes....

They sure do Thrud, this was my first thought of attack, after a lot of google searching i have read that they can be very leaky, especially the front one being pron to wave wash... NOT that i want big waves LOL. I am trying for the more secure rigid cover first and see how i go.

. 20190508_143255.jpg

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
[

If you don't have covers and you're trying to do it cheap, I'd recommend neoprene. The originals would have been neoprene with shock cord or rubber with lips. Sooner or later you will roll over - so you might as well learn to roll :), which actually isn't that hard. I got my first roll after a half hour session in an indoor pool. It's all in the hip flick - try not to use your paddle. I used to hand roll in white water. So having a good seal will help. Also, even if you don't learn to roll, when you do go upside down, and leave the boat, the boat is so much harder to work with when the hatches are full of water as well as the cockpit. Water tight hatches - say 80 liters total front and back? That's 80 kg if full of water on top of what is in the cockpit (another 60 to 80?). Something to think about.
I am hoping i wont roll out lol, wont be having a skirt for the cockpit, just leave it open, if i do flip i will just fall out, the front and back hatches will be near to air tight as i can for buoyancy. This kayak wont be my goto paddle as we use our big Hobies for kayak / camping. This kayak was a knee jerk reaction purchase LOL it was cheap as chips and i LOVE a bargain ;);) it will mostly be used in flat rivers and low water levels where I wont take my nice Hobie.

Last resort if all else fails I will bite the bullet and get the after market solid rubber hatch covers :unsure:

cheers Mozz

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I am hoping i wont roll out lol, wont be having a skirt for the cockpit, just leave it open, if i do flip i will just fall out, the front and back hatches will be near to air tight as i can for buoyancy. This kayak wont be my goto paddle as we use our big Hobies for kayak / camping. This kayak was a knee jerk reaction purchase LOL it was cheap as chips and i LOVE a bargain ;);) it will mostly be used in flat rivers and low water levels where I wont take my nice Hobie.

Last resort if all else fails I will bite the bullet and get the after market solid rubber hatch covers :unsure:

cheers Mozz

Nice canoe, but I would have got something I can store stuff inside more practically, like an open vessel. A canoe is going to get wet inside anyway from my experience, as water comes off the paddles. Good luck with the refurb (y)

barra650

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Looks like a great pickup . Nothing better than just cruising up a river or fishing the flats for a few flathead . Are they Hobies sitting on the racks ?

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I know nothing about canoes but it looks a real purpose like machine. Good luck with your refit.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like a great pickup . Nothing better than just cruising up a river or fishing the flats for a few flathead . Are they Hobies sitting on the racks ?

Yes Barra, they are Hobie Revolutions, Paddle, Peddle and Sail, had them 9 years now, well looked after and going great. These are what we use to go kayaking and camping. :)

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice canoe, but I would have got something I can store stuff inside more practically, like an open vessel. A canoe is going to get wet inside anyway from my experience, as water comes off the paddles. Good luck with the refurb (y)
Thanks

This is just a knock around kayak for low water levels , yes I will get a bit of water from the paddle but not much, I have become very proficient and not getting my seat wet. We have our other Hobie Kayaks that we use for days away on the river or lakes when camping, we can stow quiet a bit under deck :)