My Neck Of The ....Bush

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
This little Fella turned up on my veranda wood pile one morning. Obviously not your average everyday 'house-mouse' but some sort of native marsupial (?) mouse maybe someone can identify him (Perhaps Hairyman?) This is on the Central Tablelands of NSW at 900m.
Australian marsupial mouse June 2013 @Brumbys Run (11).jpg

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Brumby do you have any other angles of the critter? I know what it is but a head on or feet focused will make easier proof of ID

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
This little Fella turned up on my veranda wood pile one morning. Obviously not your average everyday 'house-mouse' but some sort of native marsupial (?) mouse maybe someone can identify him (Perhaps Hairyman?) This is on the Central Tablelands of NSW at 900m.
View attachment 17184
Probably an Antechinus spp http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antechinus but I'm no expert, could also be several other native marsupials eg,dunnart etc
We have native rodents too but it doesn't look like a rodent.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Your right Hairyman it is a yellow footed Antechinus, It is why I asked if other angles available

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
@ Hairyman & auscraft Thanks Guys – I have the Complete Book of Australian Mammals but made the mistake of assuming it was some sort of native mouse/rat and had only checked through that section of the book but could not find a match.
I have no doubt you are right now I have gone back to my photos and cross referenced the book again “Antechinus flavipes” Yellow-footed Antechinus

The collective knowledge on this Forum is a wonderful resource!

Here are a couple more angles

Australian marsupial mouse June 2013 @Brumbys Run (3).jpgAustralian marsupial mouse June 2013 @Brumbys Run (6).jpg

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
These King Parrots are everyday residents - even today when it is trying hard to Snow - horizontally! They probably end up in front of our camera more often than any other animal or bird, simply because they are so beautiful and very obliging - not timid at all. And even when they aren't here I can generally summon some by imitating their one note whistle. (Handy trick when we have visitors)
They even fly into the workshop to see what I am up to!

KP1.jpgKP2.jpg
KP3.jpgKP4.jpg

Last edited:

barefoot dave

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Thanks Brumby, 4 more reasons to NEVER cage birds. It is such a rewarding feeling to have wild things share our lives and still stay beautiful as only wild, free things can.

The following snaps afe from my part of the world. 30 m from roads and houses, I deeply thank the developer for keeping this patch of life amongst the death and destruction of a residential sub-division.
2012-10-19 11.03.13.jpg2012-10-19 11.33.03.jpg2012-10-19 11.00.21.jpg

Last edited:

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
@Barefoot Dave ... Yes we are lucky in the country with Pockets of Bush often where you least expect it. I did 6 weeks in Sydney early this year getting treatment at Royal North Shore Hospital and staying in a "just so so" motel on the Pacific Hwy at Artarmon BUT... just 5 minutes walk down behind the Motel was a stretch of Bushland in Lane Cove that went all the way to the Harbour foreshore. I spent a lot of time walking or simply just sitting in that bush ... thinking... relaxing. It was a great way to recharge and it is where I coined my signature saying.

Belong where the moment finds you

So to all our BCOZ friends who live in the cities you don't need to travel 100s of ks to get away from it all, there is probably a patch of bush not too far away wherever you are... even in the middle of a city like Sydney.

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Been colder than a frogs... &%@# here over the last couple of weekends. One big plus is that I am getting lots of those little "rainy day" project done.
I'm lucky we have an inside toilet but the poor hound has to cock his leg out in this sort of stuff !!!
(i) May 3 SNOW! (9).jpg

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
These Fellas have been very vocal of late. Getting a great "sound-off" every morning at this time of year and right now again as we loose the sun.
Probably the most iconic sound of the Aussie Bush.
Kooka .jpg

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
A tree down across one of our internal roads today - got busy with the chain saw and in the process uncovered these little "Lady Bugs" :non sono stato io: Put the Log carefully to one side out of harm's way.
(Not the greatest Pic - taken with the iPhone but not bad just the same)

(k) July 4 tree downEd(5).jpg