My Neck Of The ....Bush

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I really enjoy living on my 100 acres on a high plateau in the Central Tablelands of NSW &
I have decided to start a Photo Journal of the wildlife etc I see every day around me at "Taj Mullion".
This one from June 1st from my kitchen table.(j) June 1 (5).jpg

Last edited:

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
A 'troupe' (what's the correct collective?) of Black yellow tailed Cockatoos passed through the other day - I generally see them for a day - two at the most - this time of year travelling on to who knows where. They certainly are very uncommon to see here on the tablelands.
DSCN0796.jpg
Watched and photographed them and then noticed this chap right under the tree they were feeding in. Unfortunately it all happened very quickly and the camera didn't know what to focus on.DSCN0811.jpg

Last edited:

survivalist

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
a fox ay? would you be able to let me practice my hunting here if i ever get to come?

survivalist

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
aww shame. your really lucky to live up there i tell yah. you can do so much more there that you can't do in the city.... like practising archery :mad:

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Thanks Hairyman for the encouragement
This district is called "Mullion" a derivation of the Aboriginal name for the area & in their dialect "Mullion" translates as "Where Eagles Nest"
Had a visit from a Pair of Wedged-Tailed Eagles back in May. "(i) May 10 c (11).jpg

Last edited:

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
@ survivalist ... Mullion is North of Orange "about" 4 hours drive from Sydney We see the Wedge-Tails in the sky a fair bit But not that often actually on the ground and I have only ever seen one nest after 40 years in this area. To see them up close is awesome, the wing span on this guy had to be around 2 meters.

survivalist

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
actually i asked cause i'm looking for both some place to either hunt of cut some wood for bow making. everywhere near sydney is either a national park or owned by someone else,

payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Love that photo of the wedge tail, I really love them they are such amazing birds have seen them up close on a couple of occasions the most memorable was when my father in-law and I startled one off a kangaroo that we'd culled the night before we were around twenty meters from it when it took flight in a hurry WOOOSH WOOOSH and he was off such power in those big wings.

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Spotted this 'fella' nosing around the Horse Paddock night before last The Horse got a heck of a fright when the 22.250 went off - but not as much as the Fox:pugno:
Probably the unluckiest Fox in Australia - you know the drill. First spot your fox ... go back to the house... unlock the gun safe...fumble around and find the ammo... go back outside ...And he's still there!
More like Dumb than unlucky I suppose.
Pic shows "Toby" my young Brittany who has smelt plenty of Foxes but never seen on up close

DSCN0850.jpg

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Poor horse will have a post traumatic stress attack every time a fox shows up expecting a sonic boom any time.
Are you going to use the pelt?

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
That's one slow fox, sad to see but that's how it goes, I'm surprised he was still there when you went back, he was after something that's for sure.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
It was a Healthy looking fox. I have been reading NSW are only now trying to ban the legal breeding and keeping Foxes as pets in the state.
"NSW the only state in Australia where foxes have not been declared a feral species, but that fox rescue organisations have now been established in NSW and are rescuing adult foxes and their young and encouraging the public to “adopt a fox” as a pet."
http://www.begadistrictnews.com.au/story/2347747/cwa-calls-for-pet-fox-ban/?cs=509&utm_content=buffer8b0af&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

survivalist

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
as much as i'd love to adopt a fox as a pet they are incredibly bad for the australian environment. one of the reasons i want to go hunting is to lower the feral dog, ca, fox and rabbit population of nsw.

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
It was a Healthy looking fox. I have been reading NSW are only now trying to ban the legal breeding and keeping Foxes as pets in the state.
"NSW the only state in Australia where foxes have not been declared a feral species, but that fox rescue organisations have now been established in NSW and are rescuing adult foxes and their young and encouraging the public to “adopt a fox” as a pet."
http://www.begadistrictnews.com.au/story/2347747/cwa-calls-for-pet-fox-ban/?cs=509&utm_content=buffer8b0af&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
I knew a guy in the UK who had found a cub and tried to domesticate it. It made for a very nervous and unpredictable adult, not a good pet at all and really not a good thing for the Aus environment.

kiwibro

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I have spent a little time with a domesticated fox. Taken as a pup and trained. Incredibly smart dog. Awesome hunting companion. But yes twitchy in crowds.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
I have spent a little time with a domesticated fox. Taken as a pup and trained. Incredibly smart dog. Awesome hunting companion. But yes twitchy in crowds.
Please be careful describing a wild animal as domesticated rather than tamed , there is a huge difference. feral animals cause a great harm on our environment