my jerky recipy

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Wave man. Do they sell that at most supermarkets or it a bit of a boutique one?
yeah a bit of a boutique item, I have found my local fruit shop and fish monger sells it, and never seen it in a supermarket.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Got some roo and spices & sauces from the supermarket on the way home. Chutes, what do you set the oven too? just the lowest setting possible? mine only goes down to 70C, is that to hot? Remember the door will be open so maybe like 60-60

jaco

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I have taken a batch of biltong out last night.....

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Made the jerky. Turned out great. I just winged it with the spices and marinaded it in lime juice then some smokey BBQ. Ill post up some pics tonight. Ive already eaten it all and it was very popular at work. :sorrriso:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
good job mate, it's amazing how little the finished product is...LoL It seems to disappear into a very small amount by the end of the drying process.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
good job mate, it's amazing how little the finished product is...LoL It seems to disappear into a very small amount by the end of the drying process.
I agree. I was quite shocked. It goes to reinforce how great that jerky is as a bushfood. You could easily chew on a few while walking along and before you know it you have knocked off a whole steak.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
just got some biltong from a south african deli up the road from work. Good stuff. very moorish. Quite alot softer than jerky, much quicker to eat. Would be good for hiking...Anyone know if it goes of quicker?

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
just got some biltong from a south african deli up the road from work. Good stuff. very moorish. Quite alot softer than jerky, much quicker to eat. Would be good for hiking...Anyone know if it goes of quicker?
I don't know for sure, but being "wetter" I suspect it would go off more quickly.

As for hiking - yes and no!

Proteins consume a fair bit of energy to digest, as opposed to fats, carbs and sugars, which give energy. Also proteins require a fair amount of water to digest.

So unless you have plenty of water, other energy sources, it probably isn't such a good hiking food. IMO

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
If made propperly it should last a while, it is traditionally made using either a salt pickle or vinegar...

Although the shelf life of biltong, if stored correctly, can be anything up to a
year, we recommend that it is best eaten within two months of packing.
Biltong and droewors deteriorate if they are not stored correctly once
opened. We advise you to remove it from the packaging and store it in a cool,
dry, open place.

Source: http://www.biltongdirect.co.uk/article.php?category_id=38&article_id=30

Blackhawk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
It usually reduces to about a 1/4 of its original weight;and thus reduces to nothing in a very short time thereafter if you know what I mean;)

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I found this vid on jerky informative
[video=youtube;s3-3_pvcguI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3-3_pvcguI&feature=g-u&context=G20d579eFUAAAAAAACAA[/video]

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
as most know I got the chance to try some wild harvested deer the other day, well my mate(who shot the deer) gave me 3 roasts to jerk (I get to keep some for doing this for him) I had it marinading for the last 2 1/2 days and now drying it out today.
for those interested the marinade I use was as follows,
Masterfood Smoky BBQ marinade, Stones Green Ginger Wine, Sweet Chilli sauce, minced garlic, salt, pepper, Master foods Seasoning all-purpose and Masterfoods Bush Spice blend.
one of the 3 roasts

cut up and ready for marinading

after 3 days in the fridge marinading, put in the colander to start the draining process

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
removing all excess marinade with paper towels

packed into the trays of the dehydrator

dehydrating

I just have to continue drying out the meat, should be finished about 7pm tonight.

GTVi

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I'm having lunch now...and my saliva is running looking at these pics...can't wait to view this again around dinner time to see the results...lol

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Sound like a pretty good trade there !

Will you do different flavours for the other roasts so you can decide which is best ?

What's in the "Masterfoods Bush Spice blend" I haven't heard of that before ?

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
unfortunately I put all three roasts into the one batch, I have tried this recipe before and I find it very flavoursome.

Masterfoods Bush Spice blend, salt, sugar, garlic, pepper, paprika, celery seed, nutmeg, oregano, marjoram, parsley, rosemary, lemon myrtle, wattle seed, capsicum, and other sundry ingredients. It is one of the best spice blends I have found, it has all the spices I like and it adds a wonderful flavour to dishes.