my jerky recipy

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
My jerky recipy
Over the last 2 years I've been experimenting with making my own jerky, using beef mainly but have tried venison as well. I have found jerky to be a tasty snack,that will store in the fridge for months(not that it lasts that long before someone eats it)
I bought a food dehydrator and this was the best investment for this ancient food preparation.(sunbeam 5 tray food dehydrator,3 heat settings,cost was about AU$100),one piece of advice if you want to make jerky buy a dehydrator,yes you can use an oven but the dehydrator is purpose built for the job.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is my recipe
I use only the leanest cuts of beef (round or top side),with all excess fat removed,incidental these are usually the cheapest cuts as well (fat putrefies during the drying process)
[I have used venison,but it is expensive,hard to get in Australia,as well as the fact that I have never had the opportunity to harvest wild deer.Honestly I couldn't tell the difference between beef and venison,so I go with beef]

*meat prep Cut the trimmed beef into thick steaks(1cm),then cut into strips (to the same thickness of the steak 1cm). The strips should be as thick as the dehydrator trays will allow(but still allows airflow),this style of jerky is my favorite. Thick cut jerky like this will take longer to dry,but is easier to prepare and handle,you know when it is dyed out when the meat turns very dark,all the way through.

*marinade
marinade meat strips in layers,in the fridge for at least 24hr preferably 48hrs.Ensure that the marinading meat container is turned every 6-8hours
-stones green ginger wine (1/2 a cup)
-liquid smoke (a couple of good dashes)
-teriyaki marinade sauce (1/4 bottle per layer)
-bush spices(w' pepper blend) (good shake over all of the layer)
-minced garlic (2 teaspoons)
-hot chilli flakes (to taste,I like it hot)
-sweet chilli sauce (1/4 bottle per layer)

Put all of the above together in your marinade container,mixing well,then put in a layer of meat on top of the marinade
then on top of the layer of meat
-ground pepper and salt,a few dashes of liquid smoke,another 1/4 bottle of teriyaki sauce,another 1/4 bottle of sweet chilli sauce
(salt is very important to aid in the drying/preserving process)
*add another layer of meat
**once marinaded meat strips should have all excess marinade sauce removed (put the whole mess into a collinder,drain for a while then scrap off any excess with a knife and then pat off remaining marinade with paper towel)

This is my recipe ,has any one on the forum had any experience with jerky,or thoughts or recipes of their own.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
yeah the two are very similar, I differentiate between the two as follows, jerky is dried artificially(dehydrator or smoke house etc) were biltong is air dried, as well as being south African in origins.
There are many recipes on the web, as well as vids on youtube concerning the production of jerky.I love it, definitely one of my favorite styles of meat preservation.

feebullet

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, so when is the tasting session taking place? and what booze do you serve with jerky? I know red wine goes with most game meats.....

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Very nice
My recipe is good quality soy or oyster sauce and my own chilli recipe which has ginger,garlic and onion in it.
I will tell you exact recipe next time i do a mix I have never measured anything before it is all done by scent.
and yes salt rubbed meat
I too have the sunbeam you have best value for money and does a brilliant job
on fruit and veg too and roll ups

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I like the sound of this, love jerky, sounds like something to try. I would like to have a god at salami too. If you dotnt have a dehydrater where do you hang the meat to dry?

Ash

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I've being going to try making my own jerky for a long time now. Just havent got around to it yet. I love eating it. My mouth's watering just reading this thread

Ash

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Thanks for those links Templar I might give it a go. Cheers

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
No worries mate, thats how I started out... now I have a bench top dehydrator, but i use the box sometimes too.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice..I use kangaroo meat for mine.Roo is good as it is very lean also heaps cheaper that beef.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
awesome stuff oz! is that just hanging in front of the oven? how do you dry your meat?

I might try this with some roo....I ate roo all through uni, cheap and lean....actually I dont know why i dont eat it more now.

Blackhawk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Knocked out this batch before the October Long weekend.I use a dehydrator(Sunbeam),Hi Mountain seasoning and venison(chital deer) supplied by me:).Life's good at times like these!Big jerky batch.jpg

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Drool! Looks great blackhawk! very pro.

Could I use a fan oven on very very low heat to deydrate?

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Fantastic looking jerky and wouldn't mind a bottle of the stuff you wash it down with either

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
one thing I would definitely recommend, Colgin Liquid Smoke(comes in natural hickory, natural mesquite and several other flavours) if you can find it, it is some of the best flavour adder you will find for jerky(hell any type of meat cooking). It adds a fantastic BBQ smoke flavour to any type of meat product.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks chutes, I'll give it a try tonight.

Wave man. Do they sell that at most supermarkets or it a bit of a boutique one?