My First Mora knife arrived today

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
This is the one I just purchased on Ebay for $20-

Bahco branded and the bright orange will be hard to loose.

I wanted a little blade I could throw in the billy kit as a back-up and EDC.
While it is light enough not to notice and sharp enough this knife does not feel as good in my hand as the blade it will (probably ) be replacing.
The French stopped making these beautiful carbon steel boning knives when the agreed to join the EU/EEC and they formulated all the new rules for trade knives.
You can't boil knives with wooden handles and I was lucky enough to have been given this one by my wife ( she found it on ebay funnily enough and it cost her $35-) I haven't been able to find any more.

While the little Mora is value for money and will more than likely do the job I cannot see myself becoming fond of the knife as you do with a well made tool
Just my cheap two cents worth
I may how-ever give one of the bigger Mora knives a work-out and see what I think

Attachments

Last edited:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Great purchase mate, honestly you can't go wrong with any of the Mora line. I have several of the Mora's and like you try not to get too attached to them, to me they are quality "throw aways", my personal favorite out of the line is the 2010 Bush Crafter, very good knife tho slightly more expensive then the others.One thing IMHO the sheaths are a real disappointment, bloody awful.

Last edited:

graybear

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
In actually just bought this exact knife this week! I have had my eye out for ages, I knew they sold them online, but I found mine at a rural supplies store.

I personally LOVE these knives, like waveman said, I get attached to them too! They'll never be a handmade special, but that why i like them, they're sort of the underdog in the knife world...much scorned in some ways, but they have a very sentimental place in many people's kit.

GB

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
It just doesn't have the beautiful balance in the hand of the old fashioned boner in the photo. I guess i am just used to big blades, this thing feels like a toy in my hand ( although a "SHARP" toy ) Our local gun and hunting shop doesn't carry them, so I bought it on price

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
agreed mate, they aren't the "best" for ergonomics tho for the price who cares. Plus as you stated they come sharp from the factory and easily become scary sharp. I don't know of any other knife that has all of these features for the equivalent money.
my favorite Mora(2010 bush crafter)

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
most certainly mate, of all the Mora's I have the 2000 and 2010 feel the best, and I have big hands.

TasMonk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I got my first Mora (a flexsteel) about a year or so ago. It's a great knife and really impressed me. I'd happily buy several more... and in fact I might have to since my wife liked my Mora so much she's taken it as her own for her woodcarving. Ah well, not only are they great knives, luckily for me they're also very affordable.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Thanx fellas, I may take the plunge then and as soon as I have the funds I'll buy a bigger one ( or two ) so many toys to buy and only one tax refund to spend. So which is better for rough work the 2000 or the 2010??

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
I was recently given a mora scout nice knife will work great as neck or emergency kit knife. for the the price of them great piece of kit $17 i believe but i think with the type of conditions in OZ a more steardier knife is required for every day bushcraft.

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Since a communication with Wave man in SHQ,
I bought 3 mora 511 for $8 each
They are simply the best sharp knives I received off the box.

I even like the little hook in front of the handle.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Good to see you here Gelandangan, I too got my 511 for $8 each(including postage) off ebay. These are the "perfect" throw away knives, cheap yet high quality, and they take a scary sharp edge.

As far as rough work goes, none of the Mora line feature full tangs, and while I reckon they would stand up to some rough work I personally wouldn't give them too much of a hard time. I have seen xrays of the tangs and of all the models the 2000 has the biggest tang, so I would say that the 2000 would hold up to rough work the best.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
they come and go, you have to just keep an eye out for them every time you go onto ebay.

here's one I found(tho not $8 including post)
Search ebay for "MORA OF SWEDEN 511 CARBON STEEL BLADE KNIFE" sellers name is 'oakcutlery'

often you have to get them sold in multiples(I bought a pair) to get them at the really cheap price.(these are the ones I bought, prices have increased slightly sense I bought them)
here are some at quite good prices
Search ebay for "PUUKKO survival CARBON KNIFE by MORA of SWEDEN **A PAIR" sellers name is 'dnorthest_online'

Last edited by a moderator:

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as rough work goes, none of the Mora line feature full tangs, and while I reckon they would stand up to some rough work I personally wouldn't give them too much of a hard time.
This is of particular interest to me as a maker (mostly of hidden tangs) and I would love to discuss further I have started a thread to do so...

I have also posted a link to an article that Mora owners will no doubt find interesting.

http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showthread.php?583-Full-tang-or-Hidden-tang&p=4518#post4518

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Just received my own first Mora knife last night.
It is a 11827 purchased over ebay for under $20.
Lovely knife with a brilliant grip.
For the price paid I consider it an absolute bargain.
I do not consdier this to be a heavy duty bushcraft knife, but it is a quality knife capable of carrying out some demanding tasks as long as it is done with care & thought. I would consider this a good general duty knife.
For those wishing to view the knife it can be found here;

Search ebay for "MORA OF SWEDEN 11827 COMPANION MG STAINLESS STEEL KNIFE" Sellers name is "oakcutlery"

Bill A.

Last edited by a moderator:

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I would use my mora 511 as rough as I would use my any other full tang knives.

Since they are really light, I would carry two with me with one as a spare.

If (not when) I break the one I am using (maybe because they are not full tang??) I would keep the steel and build another smaller knive out of the carcass.
Either way, I am in a win situation.

SWMBO put claim to one of the mora because I shown her how sharp it is.
Thats Ok, thats why I bought 3 in the first place :)

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Bill I have that model and I too am very happy with it. Mora make a brilliant knife, worth every bit of the pittance you pay for them. I will admit that of the 5 Mora's I have the clipper was supplied from the factory no as sharp as it could have been, nor as sharp as all of the others. It has however taken a fine keen edge now and is every bit as sharp as my other Mora's. Of all the Mora's I definitely have a preference for the 2010/2000 types, that feature the variable scandi grind, seems to be the most versatile of the scandi grinds IMHO.