my dedicated fire kit pouch

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
No worries, you must have clicked the same button when ordering the magnifiers as me!

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
thanks for the offer mate, it is much appreciated but I have like 30 fresnel lens (credit card sized ones), I bought a heap of them a while back and add them to most of my kits.

The small magnifying glass in that kit is about the same size as a $2 coin, quite small but it does work (I have tried it on char cloth and it embers up in a bout half a second on a bright day) I have thought of buying a larger one (I have one that is about 50mm in diameter on ebay) but have just not seen the need.
bugger me waveman, I must be retarded. It's nice and sunny outside and I just tried the magnifying glass on a swiss army credit card multi tool thing on a cotton wool ball. Got the focus point as small as I could and nothing. Except I've got this bright spot in my vision now. I think I have the same credit card size and shape fresnel lenses that you have, so I tried with one of those - nothing. Not even a brown spot on the cotton wool. Blinded again - went out and tried it with toilet paper thinking maybe the cotton wool has fluffy depth that makes it harder. The sun is low on the horizon here now (tasmania). Can this sort of thing work in cold places too? I did get a small bright spot, smaller than a match head.

Last edited:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
bugger me waveman, I must be retarded. It's nice and sunny outside and I just tried the magnifying glass on a swiss army credit card multi tool thing on a cotton wool ball. Got the focus point as small as I could and nothing. Except I've got this bright spot in my vision now. I think I have the same credit card size and shape fresnel lenses that you have, so I tried with one of those - nothing. Not even a brown spot on the cotton wool. Blinded again - went out and tried it with toilet paper thinking maybe the cotton wool has fluffy depth that makes it harder. The sun is low on the horizon here now (tasmania). Can this sort of thing work in cold places too? I did get a small bright spot, smaller than a match head.
mate try it on a char piece of material (charred cloth or char punk wood) and you will hit pay dirt. Magnifying glass, sunlight and char material equals an ember everytime. Get an ember and then transfer it to a birds nest and blow into flame, works almost every time.
Concerning trying to get a piece of paper alight with a magnifying glass, it is possible but very difficult, try to get the spot focused on the edge of the paper, hopefully it will generate an ember and then you can blow it into flame. That or transfer the ember onto a char piece of material, and then transfer that ember to a birds nest and blow into flame.

I have never had success using things like cotton wool balls and a magnifying glass lens.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
is lens easier for lighting fire? been using firesticks.
if you have char cloth and a sunny day then it is just as easy as using a ferro rod, but it is really dependant on whether you have char material or not. Overall I would go with a ferro rod (actually I start off with a lighter or matches if I am honest) first and use other lighting methods next.