my dedicated fire kit pouch

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I like to have a belt pouch dedicated to fire on my belt ready for action, here's mine, sits on my belt next to my magazine pouches (the ones pictured are for my Remington 7600 10 rnd mags), multiple ways to start a sure fire. I just added the pocket bellows to it.

contents L-R match safe full of storm matches, striker, tinder-quiks (X4), magnesium rod, char cloth bundle, pocket bellows, pill case full of cotton wool rubbed with petroleum jelly, ferro rod, Clipper brand lighter, Little Lucifer brand fire lighter tabs (X3)

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Very neat. Those fire bellows are simple but excellent. The only other thing you might want to stick in there is a trick re-lighting candle.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Thrud said:
The only other thing you might want to stick in there is a trick re-lighting candle.
excellent suggestion Thrud, and I will be doing that as soon as I can secure one. I also forgot to mention that I have a 5X mini magnifying glass wrapped in with the Tinder-Quiks.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I just noticed you've got a ranger band on your match container, they burn well!

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I just noticed you've got a ranger band on your match container, they burn well!
exactlt right mate and that is why I included it. Plus if you look closely I have used a zip-loc tie on the lighter to stop gas leakage.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
A very neat and compact setup.

Which is your "go to" everyday option for lighting ?

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
A very neat and compact setup.

Which is your "go to" everyday option for lighting ?
I favor my ferro rods, while the lighter is definitely easier I just love using a ferro rod for the most part. But with that being said I will vary it and change methods from time to time so as to keep my skills up. For instance on a sunny day I will often use my magnifying glass/char cloth just for fun.

At times when the belt pouch is inappropriate I default to this set, put in a pocket. 5"x1/2" ferro rod, .62"x3.5" magnesium rod and Corona tool sharpener

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
and when I am feeling a nostalgic I instead use my dedicated flint and steel kit. I have two more pieces of flint on the way to add to the kit, I am happy with the flint and single piece of quartz but am always looking for more flint to add.

The bearing block is one of two I have, this one is slightly smaller (and thus fits in this kit better) and is made from a piece of micarta, I keep it in this kit so if I want to give bow drill a go I am ready to go. The other bearing block I have (not pictured) is the better of the two, a leather bound skateboard bearing that works a treat.

the blue cloth (100% cotton so if I want to char it it will do so well) is a covering for a small pack of strike-anywhere matches and a small wad of char cloth ready made ready for use. Steel striker, 2 pieces of flint, a piece of quartz, bunch of jute rope.

Eventually I will transfer most of this kit (the striker and the flint, quartz, char cloth and jute) into a Hudson Bay Tobacco tin (the one's with magnifying glass built into the lid) but the $50 cost for one of these has always stymied me. The rest I will keep in the pouch and get a bigger belt pouch to hold all of it together in one place.

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
and when I am feeling a nostalgic I instead use my dedicated flint and steel kit. I have two more pieces of flint on the way to add to the kit, I am happy with the flint and single piece of quartz but am always looking for more flint to add.

The bearing block is one of two I have, this one is slightly smaller (and thus fits in this kit better) and is made from a piece of micarta, I keep it in this kit so if I want to give bow drill a go I am ready to go. The other bearing block I have (not pictured) is the better of the two, a leather bound skateboard bearing that works a treat.

the blue cloth (100% cotton so if I want to char it it will do so well) is a covering for a small pack of strike-anywhere matches and a small wad of char cloth ready made ready for use. Steel striker, 2 pieces of flint, a piece of quartz, bunch of jute rope.

Eventually I will transfer most of this kit (the striker and the flint, quartz, char cloth and jute) into a Hudson Bay Tobacco tin (the one's with magnifying glass built into the lid) but the $50 cost for one of these has always stymied me. The rest I will keep in the pouch and get a bigger belt pouch to hold all of it together in one place.
Just don't forget that the Hudson Bay tobacco tin is of no use as a tinderbox if you intend the prepare natural fungi & plant tinders, or even charring cloth. The process will stuff up the burning lens in the lid.
Keith.
MISINFORMATION 006 REDUCED.jpg

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Just don't forget that the Hudson Bay tobacco tin is of no use as a tinderbox if you intend the prepare natural fungi & plant tinders, or even charring cloth. The process will stuff up the burning lens in the lid.
Keith.
View attachment 25700
thanks for the heads up Keith, much appreciated. I had heard the Hudson Bay Tobacco tins lens is susceptible to damage in some cases (mainly on the inside of the tin and damage occurring from the contents rubbing up against the lens). I will include a char tin in the larger kit when I build it.

098steve

Russell Coight
Reaction score
The bearing block is one of two I have, this one is slightly smaller (and thus fits in this kit better) and is made from a piece of micarta, I keep it in this kit so if I want to give bow drill a go I am ready to go.
I like the micarta bearing block Dean. Did you make it yourself or buy it?

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I like the micarta bearing block Dean. Did you make it yourself or buy it?
it was actually made for me by a good friend and he gifted it to me. AFAIK there are only two of them in existence, the one he made me and the other he kept for himself. It really is a great bit of kit and works well. Of the two though (the micarta version and the skateboard bearing version the skateboard bearing is the best, makes bow drill so much easier and eliminates any chance of the bearing block heating up)

here are the two up close

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Keith.
thanks for the heads up Keith, much appreciated. I had heard the Hudson Bay Tobacco tins lens is susceptible to damage in some cases (mainly on the inside of the tin and damage occurring from the contents rubbing up against the lens). I will include a char tin in the larger kit when I build it.
Thanks Keith + Wave Man ... I had wondered about the lens vs charring ....
Sounds like that tin would be best for storage rather than for use.

The Husdon Bay style also have the plain tin, one could always add a lens as an item in the tin.

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
If you are only going to store charred cloth in this tin it should be okay, the problem comes if you char tinders in the fire as per originally done, & then use this tin to smother the embers as is done with a real tinderbox. You don't need to carry a tin for charring, but that of course is your choice. Depends on whether or not you are trying to lighten your load or get rid of items that take up room & are not needed.
Keith.

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I have a kind of urban kit as well as a bush kit. In the urban kit I have a peanut lighter. I refill it every now and then with a teaspoon of petrol :) I also have a few band aids, alcohol swabs etc. The alcohol swabs double for fast fire lighting.

Peanut lighter.jpg

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I have a peanut lighter attached to my house key set, they are a good lighter, but for most kits I prefer the Clipper brand disposable lighter.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
just got a lot of trick re-lighting candles (as per @Thrud's suggestion) and added a couple to each of my kits. Thanks mate for the suggestion.

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I was reunited with an early (for me) youtube survivalist dude. He's showing a new product he found - it's a ferro rod that takes the place of the tooth pick in a Swiss Army pocket knife. It's the sort of thing I'd put in my SAK's, because why not? Although I do often find uses for the toothpicks, but I'm sure those uses can be duplicated by one of the many other tools in the SAK. When I saw his video, I thought of this post of yours Wave man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U5zZdIXeiQ