My 1st Ever Solo Over Night - Crewick State Forest, Ballarat

Markie D

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Update:
Weekend went well, took the car as i mentioned in my revised notes, Weather was average, light showers all weekend, But i made the most of it anyhow.
Played around with a new tarp i recently purchased, tried out a few different configurations ect. Cooked a roast chook in the camp oven, caught and ate some yabbies from a nearby dam, did a little timber carving and built a small table to practice my lashing skills. I will try to post up some pics tonight.

Markie D

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Um... There might be some in the background of some of the pics I'll have to check. But tbh I just bought a nice 3x3 tarp, so I was just testing out a few different configuration I have seen online. I ended up going with the old tried and tested center Ridge line, triangle shape. Not sure on the proper names for it. But I'll hopefully be trying a couple other ideas i have seen, in the backyard over the next few few days, so I'll see if I can get some pics. I might start a new thread for tarp designs if your interested.

Last edited:

Outventures_WA

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Um... There might be some in the background of some of the pics I'll have to check. But tbh I just bought a nice 3x3 tarp, so I was just testing out a few different configuration I have seen online. I ended up going with the old tried and tested center Ridge line, triangle shape. Not sure on the proper names for it. But I'll hopefully be trying a couple other ideas i have seen, in the backyard over the next few few days, so I'll see if I can get some pics. I might start a new thread for tarp designs if your interested.
DO IT

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
cheers mate, I see your a fellow Victorian, what area's/forests do you get out to?
I tend to head North and East from Melbourne, into the mountains
I have relatives in the Rat, so I head that way, but often its to their place and rarely out to the bush

Markie D

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I tend to head North and East from Melbourne, into the mountains
I have relatives in the Rat, so I head that way, but often its to their place and rarely out to the bush
Ah, the Good old High country, I've spent a lot of time out around Jameison, rubicon, buxton area.
Very rough terrain and country up that way, Very unforgiving. But its beautiful area, especially for Deer.

I might have to show ya the B-rat bush one day, Plenty to see out here in the old Goldfields.

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Well done that's smoothing it for sure. One small bit of advice which I know is going to make me sound like a wet blanket. The fastest way to turn a good weekend bad out bush is by playing with knives. Keep the spoon carving for around home, so someone can drive you to hospital. Knives are fun there is no two ways about it, but extremely dangerous out bush.

Markie D

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Well done that's smoothing it for sure. One small bit of advice which I know is going to make me sound like a wet blanket. The fastest way to turn a good weekend bad out bush is by playing with knives. Keep the spoon carving for around home, so someone can drive you to hospital. Knives are fun there is no two ways about it, but extremely dangerous out bush.
Hi Peter,

Yes, Thanks for the tip, i do agree to a certain extent

TBH the thought actually crossed my mind while i was carving the spoon "what if i slip". I do agree with you that knives are dangerous and there could be a potential hospital trip if an accident was too occur, but in saying that, other activities i take part in the bush like mountain bike riding, guns and butchering (field dressing) and even filleting fish is all dangerous. I believe that being alone in the bush is a step that should only be taken when you are confident in your skills and ability and you have to be able to prove that confidence to yourself by practicing the task often without accident or a near mis, this ensures that the skills you are practicing are being done with correct method and being done safely. Its also good to keep those skills fresh and up to scratch.

With the correct knowledge and good methods and skills being practiced and proper safety procedures being followed, i do honestly believe that risk can be greatly reduced.

I guess it comes down to the environment also and the camping trip, I had my car with me at the camping site and the Ballarat hospital is only a 20 min drive from the camp site, and there was phone reception also, so on this camping trip i guess it is not that much worse then being at home.

But i definitely think safety should be a larger factor when planning alot of these solo trips. Getting in the habit of evaluating risk any time you do a task also helps understand what could happen before it happens and allows you to take some counter measures to reduce or remove those risks. For example, Wearing PPE gear.

Last edited:

Outventures_WA

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hi Peter,

Yes, Thanks for the tip, i do agree to a certain extent

TBH the thought actually crossed my mind while i was carving the spoon "what if i slip". I do agree with you that knives are dangerous and there could be a potential hospital trip if an accident was too occur, but in saying that, other activities i take part in the bush like mountain bike riding, guns and butchering (field dressing) and even filleting fish is all dangerous. I believe that being alone in the bush is a step that should only be taken when you are confident in your skills and ability and you have to be able to prove that confidence to yourself by practicing the task often without accident or a near mis, this ensures that the skills you are practicing are being done with correct method and being done safely. Its also good to keep those skills fresh and up to scratch.

With the correct knowledge and good methods and skills being practiced and proper safety procedures being followed, i do honestly believe that risk can be greatly reduced.

I guess it comes down to the environment also and the camping trip, I had my car with me at the camping site and the Ballarat hospital is only a 20 min drive from the camp site, and there was phone reception also, so on this camping trip i guess it is not that much worse then being at home.

But i definitely think safety should be a larger factor when planning alot of these solo trips. Getting in the habit of evaluating risk any time you do a task also helps understand what could happen before it happens and allows you to take some counter measures to reduce or remove those risks. For example, Wearing PPE gear.
Some good points there.