BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fungi Multifurca sp.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
DO NOT use these photos as a tool for safe identification of edible wild mushrooms—use resources that are designed for that purpose

Botanical Name: Multifurca UNIDENTIED

Common Name: milk cap

Other Names: previously known as Lactarius family group

I believe this to be only the 2nd type yet to be ID in Australia the other was found in NSW. This species to my knowledge is not found in any Australian field guide on Fungi as of yet.This shows how serious it is to get proper Id before tasting any mushroom especially in Australia.

Below info is taken directly from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multifurca
Multifurca is a rare genus of ectomycorrhizal fungi in the family Russulaceae. It was described in 2008, after molecular phylogenetic study had shown that it forms a monophyletic lineage within the family, sister to Lactarius.[1] The genus contains six species known from the USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, India, China, Thailand, Australia, and New Caledonia, but so far has not been reported from Europe, Africa, or South America.[1][2][3][4] Four of those species were formerly classified as Russula section Ochricompactae, and Multifurca furcata was originally described as a Lactarius species.[1]

Multifurca is morphologically intermediate between Lactarius and Russula: Fruitbodies have adnate to subdecurrent gills and are zonate; latex (as in Lactarius and Lactifluus) is present only in M. furcata; spore print is orange; spores themselves are very small with only faint ornamentation.[1]

The widespread but only punctual records of Multifurca suggest an ancient, relictual distribution.
This fungi was discovered on the July Foray at Linda Garrett park Maleny, Qld
Photo by me
View attachment 19624View attachment 19625View attachment 19626View attachment 19627

Last edited: