Mud crab / Asian Swimmer crab (sand crab) / Coral crabs

feebullet

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Just thought I would throw in on crabs and pics. All three of these critters are in salt to brackish water with floor bottom deciding the distribution. All three will fluctuate over the moon phase and with the addition of fresh water to the systems cause them to follow the water to salt (usually a river mouth) Mud crabs are the most structure dependent, often preferring rock enclave and mangrove to actual mud hollows. Coral crabs being the opposite, a sandy bottom with no leaves will host the party there.

All three species are widely distributedP1010109.jpgP1010118.jpgP1010126.jpg throughout oz, so go get one! (or ten) and then share ya pics!

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Good catch there mate, Do you use pots to catch them?

feebullet

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
use witches hats in NSW, round pots only in QLD, or bare hands or hooks when no-one is looking :D If you guys are keen I'll bring out the prawn pics, Love going the trifecta on both. You know you have it worked out when you can get tigers, bananna's and schoolie prawns in the one day and same with corals, muds and sandies in a day!

Shane

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Wow, I miss the crabs back home. Best tasting grub in the world.

Shane

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
You bet I am. Best fishing I ever did was on the reef off Cairns. I don't know if you guys have ever watched Bizarre Foods, but I still laugh when I see the episode where the host has no luck catching Coral Trout and his 'guide' gives him something which is NOT Coral Trout lmao. My old man had his finger to the pulse of sandcrabs in Moretan Bay, he'll be keen to get out on his boat when I get back home. It's been 10 years.

feebullet

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
yeah at the moment around Gold bank / carusoe island near jumping pin bar there have been good numbers caught. Back towards Russell island isn't doing it's usual winter thing... too much fresh has them around the mouth and in that bloody protected area!

Michael

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
love the blue maners I get in the swan river big and sweat

Archer

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Gotta love a good feed of crabs. We used to cook them over an open fire within an hour of capture and nothing tasted better. When your prawning do you ever get any mantis shrimp? Not sure if they come down this far south but they can be great fun to pull from there holes on the beach.

Last edited:

Archer

Russell Coight
Reaction score
We used to pull them from their hole using a couple of small baited whiting hooks bound onto a twig from mangroves and floated in the snags the reddies loved em. If we caught enough they were cooked up.