BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving from UK to Sydney soon

pteron

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a Brit about to make the big move to Sydney. Here I was, enjoying a semi-retired life in the wilds of Wiltshire when I got a call - 'come and help us in Sydney, we'll take care of the visa etc'. It took very little time to decide, I fancied an adventure and so I arrive on the 30th Sept. 2 weeks in jail then free to roam (I hope!)

I've been selling off a bit of kit here, but plan to bring my hammock/tarp setup, is that appropriate for bushcrafting in the Sydney NSW area?

Looking forward to meeting some new bushcraft mates!

WanderOn

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hope it’s all smooth sailing. 2 weeks will give you plenty of time to research places to go.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Big change for you, you will be coming into our warm then very hot weather. ☀️🥵😁

What region of Sydney? we still have Cov lock down here so you will be a bit restricted to your LGA (Local Government Authority) for a short while more.

hammock/tarp setup for Sydney region is fine, just need the trees and again coming into our nice weather, does get cool at night, you have an under quilt i presume.

Gday and welcome to the forum.
I am not far south of Sydney, Shellharbour LGA

cheers Mozz

pteron

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome!

I'll be in Surry Hills for a few weeks, then will pick a different suburb to try, until my stuff arrives on the boat.

Yep, have an underquilt - I learned the hard way about needing it!

Any local groups? Or does everyone do their own thing?

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of us kinda do our own thang, but there are a few local Sydney groups,

not much has been happening, cold winter and this pestering lockdowns.

with the warmer weather and easing of restrictions, should be some more activity,

I am busting to get back out Kayaking and string up my hammock 😁