BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reptile Morelia spilota (Carpet python)

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Common Name:Carpet python

Scientific Name:Morelia Spilota

Order:Squamata

Family:Pythonidae

Other Names:Diamond Python

Distribution:Found throughout most of mainland Australia except Arid areas.
Indonesia and New Guinea.

Habitat:Various habitats including woodland, treeless islands and in and near human habitation
and even in areas that recieve snow.

Field Notes:Large python to 4meters. Semi arborial. Six subspecies recognized in Australia
some with 'threatened' conservarion status.

Picture 079.jpgPicture 077.jpg

Steel ruler is slightly more than 30cm. This snake may be M. spilota mcdowelli give the size and location.
South Burnett, Queensland (Oct2011)

Thanks to Auscraft and Blake for help with I.D.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Some of my own:

2011 - Location: Australia Zoo

IMGP9554.jpg

IMGP9562.jpg

IMGP9563.jpg

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Nice (and the other posts) Is that last one a Juvie?

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks - yes, that's steel plate you often find in the back of utes (for size comparison). Was the smallest carpet snake i've ever seen...

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
A good look at the heat sensing pits in the bottom jaw.

This one keeps coming back to check out my chooks but they are too big.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Hairy
You may need to make some alterations to your pens to keep predators out. In saying that your getting some great pics keep it up

barefoot dave

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Mmmm, carpet snake.
In the bad old days we had one get into the chook cage and swallow 3pullets, then he couldn't get out, of course.
No option but to get the .22, old bloke ate the pullets and I ate the snake, poetic justice we called it.
Easy to skin and gut, naturally, rolled in flour, coiled up in the pan and shallow fried. Yes, it tasted just like chicken. Used a fork to scrape the meat off the bones.
Vey nice but not a patch on pork of the sea, dugong.

I am not suggesting that you kill a protected animal, just info that they taste nice! ;-)

We have a beautiful specimen where I work, approx 3.5m in length and a body thicker than my arm. Magnificant creature. My friend the snake catcher says they need to travel at least 6km away to relocate them as they WILL return otherwise. She dropped one 3km away once and it was back in a week. Confirmed the ID, def the same one. Cool.
Cheers, BDave.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Some Aboriginal people in North Queensland believe eating carpet snakes cause skin problems for the consumer.
If one is sensitive to the various alarm calls of certain birds such as butcher birds, apostle birds, noisy minors, etc it
is reasonably easy to find carpet snakes and goannas in some areas.

barefoot dave

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Funny you mention that Hairyman.
Where I work is in a bend of the river and we have a mix of raptors and reptiles that stir up our noisy minors, cockatoos, butcher birds so I often fill the quiet times watching the Neighbourhood watch team in action seeing the predators off then returning to their petty rivalries and territorialism (so much like us, eh?).
Recently, we have had a family of crows muscle in so they have been the target of much harrasment.
The other day, i heard the usual cacophany of 'bugger off, bugger of' going on, looked over to see the crow in the middle of a grey, black and white maelstrom. Thought nothing of it as it continued for the next 5 minutes.
Then I heard someone yell "snake"!
Watching a little more closely I noticed the Crow was in overwatch as the smaller dive bombers took turns!! :)
Naturally, once Joe Blake was shown the door, the crow copped it again.

Never assume, always watch with open eyes!
Cheers, BDave.