BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More good books

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
*Field guide to Plants of the Dry Tropics .

Keith Townsend , for society for growing Australian plants Townsville branch .

1997 .

handy little book , for drier tropics , many plants overlap beyond the Townsville area and are found further north too.

has quite a few the edibles though it does not list edibility , can be used as another source of info with other books .

pics are great and it tells which season they're in fruit .
Any field guide type books are great for carrying .

8132FA58-1384-4646-9CBA-877D19FC3C32.jpeg

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Key guide to Australian palms ferns and allies .

Leonard Cronin .

Another field guide size book , useful for knowing whats what , in conjunction with edibles books .Very Detailed descriptions .F3D77EE8-0930-4711-9CA3-B17C03AE5BEF.jpeg

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
*Key guide to Australian Trees .

Leonard Cronin .

as the previous book by same author , field guide size book very detailed , handy for identifying trees .

so you can keep a pouch handy and take these guys along for a ride with their size . C73D0A0C-88A6-4EEC-BDBD-F0F307EBAC89.jpeg

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Born A Bushman .

Jack Payne.

Growing up in north FAE56774-2933-466B-B562-88C11D0500ED.jpegQueensland's savannah country.

Born during the depression , he grew up working and living in the bush .

Everything from timber cutting , shooting roo’s off horse back , roo tail stew , hunting with cattle dogs :) and chasing pigs way back when . (40’s)

The wisdom of that generation, and reality of living in the bush .

Absolutely brilliant , if you are into this kind of stuff . Bits and pieces of forgotten stuff we need from grandfathers to pass on .
I especially appreciated the hunting, fishing , reading the country and situation tips .
For my tastes can’t recommend it enough.

Found 3 Copies on ebay . So it is around.

Quote : “ to feed the chooks I had to take a wheelbarrow and a miner’s pick , select a suitable ant-bed and wheel it home.
When I started breaking up the ant-bed the chooks would come running and gobble the ants up . It seemed to do the trick and the egg production would pick up , for a while at least .”

Last edited:

WanderOn

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Safe outback travel .
Jack Absalom .

you know it’s old when the back cover says
“ this book , the basis for a series of ABC radio programs is an absolute must “.

1976 copyright .

where else I don’t know can you learn how to lash a tyre or spare wheel under broken rear springs to get you home , or shave some soap into flakes , a bit of spit and mix with bull dust to plug a leaking fuel tank , plus heaps more .

wish I could just put the whole book in pics on here .

has all the water procurement stuff , stars , needle compass and all that kind of stuff which has been around since back even then . Should not be lost this information . View attachment 28552
Ordered a copy tonight. Looking forward to having a read. Thanks

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Ordered a copy tonight. Looking forward to having a read. Thanks
Good book wanderon , I reckon you could learn more with these old guys in an afternoon or 2 having a cuppa and biscuits than a year of youtubes .

Another thing I notice ,is the condensed knowledge in books being on hand when you want it , compared to sifting through vid’s and ramblings.

Request for more old timers to write books!