BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Morakniv Basic 546 SS ( Part 1 - Factory Edge )

old4570

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Mora.jpg

Morakniv Basic model 546 Stainless Steel Blade .
Cutting rope returned a disappointing 100 slice fail .
Right at the belly of the blade where it contacts the wood the edge vanished . I felt it going at 50 slices and by 100 slices it was gone .... ( bye bye )

Sharpening :

I started with a stone thinking that it would be a relatively straight forward edge restore ... WRONG

After ? how long the belly was not going anywhere .. It was still gone far away .

I had to pull out a 400 grit diamond sharpener and have at it .. It took a bit of work but the diamond got me to the BURR !
After that I stoned the Scandi edge till the burr was gone and then I stropped it .

It was a lot of work .. You really have to be dedicated to that scandi edge !
So just a ordinary factory edge ? It was sharp , that be a fact . But little in the way of edge holding .
Failing at 100 is below average . ( In my book )

Part 2 , will be testing my sharpening skills . ( Takes hair off my arm with ease )

Askew

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Mora knives used to have an issue with the factory edge being a bit soft due to overheating while grinding. After sharpening a couple of times the edge improves a lot, at least in my experience. That said it's been a few years since I bought a Mora, haven't needed to replace it.

old4570

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I bought this one for a Yardstick , but ? ( @ 100 Fail = a very poor yardstick )
I did touch up the edge on the Robust . Looking forward to what that can do .
+ Several other Mora , especially the one from the 70's . ( Micro Bevel )