Mora knife with built in LMF firesteel

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
G'day Pistol and welcome - thanks for sharing the link.

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Well now that made sense,

Mora knives are usually do not have full tang so the handle is naturally a good place for storage.
The question is would stainless knives produce as good spark as a carbon steel one?
and, would the hollow handle weaken the knife further?

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
as far as SS vs HC steels and their ability to spark, it is more dependent on a sharp edge to use as the striking edge rather then what steel the striker is made from. I like this Mora concept, tho I would still prefer the firesteel incorporated into the sheath rather then the handle( just my opinion)

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Just remember also that a ferro rod can be sparked with any sharp angled surface.. glass, stone, etc.

Pistol

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I think id rather have the mora with the hollow handle
than a " Bear Grylls" Gerber with a firesteel on the sheath
I duno what the price on this one is but if its like 30 bucks and you get a in built LMF
thats money well spent

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
as far as SS vs HC steels and their ability to spark, it is more dependent on a sharp edge to use as the striking edge rather then what steel the striker is made from. I like this Mora concept, tho I would still prefer the firesteel incorporated into the sheath rather then the handle( just my opinion)
You know this is the very first time i have seen that mentioned or actuallt heard that, it probably explains why I could nt get a decent spark last weekend, I was using a knife that had a very slightly rounded back

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Ya, my bad!
I have used an old dull stainless to try on the ferrocerium because I dont want to risk a good blade.
And all I got is a tiny peep squeak 5hit embarrassment of a spark that is smaller than the ones off a zippo.
OTOH, when I use a cheap Mora 511 carbon steel to try, it gave me a shower of spark.

Today I tried the firesteel with my sharp stainless Muela and get similar spark as the Mora.

Ok I am convinced.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
now that is a Mora I really like, looks great Pistol. I wish they would incorporate a 2010 Bushcrafter or 2000 with the firesteel sheath.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
The only problem I have here is the pricing.
The Mora with ferroceum fire steel - around $108 (ebay price)
My recent Mora (also off ebay) without fire steel - $21.65
Now I agree the Mora are excellent knives & generally pretty good value, but an extra $85+ for a ferroceum fire steel is a bit steep I reckon.
I have now set mine up as a neck knife with seperate ferroceum steel & small piece of hacksaw blade (as striker). Total cost $38.15

By the way. Rather than muck about getting a second rate spark from knife blades etc, try a small piece of hacksaw blade.
I get an absolutely brilliant shower of sparks that all but blinds me when trying to watch.

For those that are so inclined the hacksaw blade can also be easilly shaped into a very good little backup blade within it's own right.

Bill A.