BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Modified spindle

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I was watching Alone on the SBS, when I saw one of the contestants had modified his spindle by putting a waist on it. So I modified a new bit of xanthorrhoea, combined with my Condor bearing block should make fire lighting just like turning on the oven......

Yeah right!

Attachments

• C5F281A3-45BA-4FA1-B893-95A30C2DEA64.jpeg
    C5F281A3-45BA-4FA1-B893-95A30C2DEA64.jpeg
    321 KB · Views: 8

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the idea, but in practice really need the cord as tight as possible,

I twist my spindle into the cord, when itā€™s in the waist section less tension :unsure:

will have to give it a try, I watched all the Alone series, who had this spindle trick Thrud, I must of nodded off and missed it šŸ˜“

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
It was on one episode prob the start of series3/4 where they were in the introduction area it was only a 2 second glimpse and nobody talked about it.
As you know even with the spindle wrapped tight (I use starter cord after Hairyman suggested it) there is a tendency for the cord to "walk" this should stop that tendency.
I also take Redtail's point about the rotation, but a fatter initial spindle will solve that.