Modified Hand Drill Technique

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Ive been practicing my hand drill lately and I'm getting there. Ive also been working on what I call the "modified hand drill" I read this is a book a while ago and this is my take on it. I feel that this technique gives a much high success rate and would also be useful for those with hand problems or who have trouble going the distance with the hand drill normally. This isn't an excuse at all not to learn the traditional way but it does work well and its not to much effort or materials to set up. The following is my deluxe method but of course you could use natural fibers or various derivatives of my method.

I start by putting a split down the centre of my drill.

Then I bind with tightly sinew from about half an inch from the end of the split up to the top leaving about an inch remanding. Then I fire the sinew. With the artificial being a waxed nylon the wax will melt and the nylon fibers bind hard into something almost like a resin when cooled.

I cut a small opening in the end of the split to accept a length of roo cord and pull it down hard. Then I tie off two thumb loops.

The idea is that this method allows you to use the loops to apply the downward pressure and you only really have to worry about your hand rotation. Its a bit like a cheating version of the floating hand technique but more affective in my mind.

An ember is quickly produced.

I see no reason you couldn't substitute the leather and sinew for natural fibers.
To increase your chances even further I like to rub some wax onto the stem which gives my hands excellent grip. I find this superior to spitting which evaporates quickly and makes your hands slip even more when they heat up from the friction. These stills are from a video I made which I will upload tonight.

Ill bring this set to the meet for anyone to play with who would like to try this technique.

Last edited:

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Very nice write up Blake. Will have to give this a go!

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
I feel it in the arms from applying the downward pressure so I will give this a go, thanks Blake.

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Excellent thought Blake!

I think if you come up with some sort of a flywheel on the stick, you may even get it working much easier like a push drill.
I believe a flywheel can be made of something like a MDF drilled in the center and attached to the stick by friction.

Aussie Forager CQ

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi Blake, great process mate, very impressive, lm looking forward to the vid.

Forgive my ignorance.......I was just wondering why you fired the sinew? I just haven't heard of it before. Is it to dry it quicker so you can start using it straight away? Or does it bind harder?

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Blake, great process mate, very impressive, lm looking forward to the vid.

Forgive my ignorance.......I was just wondering why you fired the sinew? I just haven't heard of it before. Is it to dry it quicker so you can start using it straight away? Or does it bind harder?
Yep you got it mate. Being nylon based fibre the wax and nylon melt together and go hard almost like a resin. Its one of the reasons I love working with artificial sinew for jobs like this. Its not great some jobs tying but it makes a top binding material in my opinion. I talk about this a bit in the video. Its almost done uploading. Ill post it up here when Its done.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hey Blake.

Great pics mate. Makes it very clean & easy to se what's happening there.

Where did you source the 'artificial sinew' from?
Sorta an 'oxymoron' aint it (artificial sinew).
Surely sinew has to be by definition organic?
Is it a medical product or some sort?

I've also seen this trick used but a small hole was cross drilled through the drill shaft & the cord threaded through the drill to achieve the same result.
Tried it myself & it does work well. Much better than the standard 'blister raiser" method.

Bill.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Here is the video
[video=youtube;o4ZMabFVVCU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ZMabFVVCU[/video]

Where did you source the 'artificial sinew' from?
Sorta an 'oxymoron' aint it (artificial sinew).
Surely sinew has to be by definition organic?
Is it a medical product or some sort?
Bill.
Hi mate,

Its the sinew I sell on the store: http://www.bushcraftozstore.com.au/products/artificial-sinew-300-yards-2743m

Its mainly used by people for crafting these days. Quoting myself from the store page:

Sinew has been used for thousands of years to make tools, weapons, clothing and various other items. Real sinew is expensive and not uniform in size. This artificial sinew is very close to the real thing, is uniform in constriction and has almost identical workability.

These smaller bobbins of sinew are a great accompaniment to a bushcraft sewing kit being small and easy to transport.

This artificial sinew is made in the USA. It consists of fine waxed nylon strands which bind together but also can be split to make smaller threads. It is great for leather working thread being pre-waxed and giving a traditional look and feel to your work. It is also great for braiding into larger threads for a bow string. I find it also makes a wonderful binding cordage for primitive tool projects. Being flat by nature means it binds flat against fine areas and the wax assists in holding the fibers together.

Length 274.3m (300 yards)
Breaking Strain 32kg (70lb)
Weight 225g (0.5 pounds, 8oz), Total Weight 245g

CMY48U

Russell Coight
Reaction score
A very good idea and great pics there, will make it much easier and less tiring.