moccasin boots

boyofthebush209

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I am wanting to make some moccasin boots.

I was just wanting to hear your ideas!!:)
I was thinking of doing them like front stitch with longer tops and thick soles!
I'm thinking of making them out of deer hide if that is the best type of leather.

please tell me what you all think
I will start posting pictures as soon as I start the project.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Your best type of leather will be brain tan as it breaths and water resistant next would be your chrome as water resistant but does not breath.
Deer would be great . Kangaroo may be a little thin but if you sew in indepent sole it would work fine

TasMonk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I've got some deer leather that I've been planning to make some tallish moccasins or shortish moccasin boots from. Since we're on the topic, I had the idea of stitching on a removable outer sole made of veg tanned leather to make them harder wearing and easier to repair and am curious what your thoughts on that might be.

silverback

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Hi Tasmonk, I think if I was building them I would stitch on an intermediate sole then contact glue the final sole so as to make resoling easier. it is easier to rip off a glued sole than to be unstitching and restitching.

Cam

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I personally know nothing on this - but Horace Klephart, a turn of the century American wilderness writer ('Camping and Woodcraft') which I happen to be reading now, said Deer was a trifle thin and Elk or Moose better (if you can get it :). He also suggested using rawhide soles if going on really hard terrain. Otherwise brain tanning, as already suggested.

Bloozz

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I agree that elk or moose would be better. It would be a bit thicker and sturdier, deer will be quite soft and you'll feel every twig you walk on. Deer will also stretch quite a lot.

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I am wanting to make some moccasin boots.

I was just wanting to hear your ideas!!:)
I was thinking of doing them like front stitch with longer tops and thick soles!
I'm thinking of making them out of deer hide if that is the best type of leather.

please tell me what you all think
I will start posting pictures as soon as I start the project.
This is a series of 10 videos that I & my wife made on how to make a pattern & making the moccasins.
Keith.
[video=youtube;7A7cFlllcks]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A7cFlllcks[/video]

Moccasin soles 1.jpg
Moccasins 2.jpg