BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mineral spirits and silicone waterproofing

Kindliing

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Anyone tried this ?
I don’t know what the equivalent of mineral spirits is in Australia .
Here’s a vid where she mixes the 2 together and paints it on with a brush.

Requiem

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I have done this with a tent fly that was loosing its waterproofing. I used turps and clear outdoor silicone caulking that resists UV breakdown. Very messy ordeal, tremendous fumes, and too long a process. Luckily I happen to own a full face respirator with organic vapour cartridges. It essentially leaves a very fine film of silicone. Not all materials are compatible with those chemicals. My tent fly is made of PU, which I scrubbed with a green abrasive kitchen sponge, hosed down, and allowed to dry taut under my pergola. I applied a thin layer of my turps and silicone mix onto both sides using a car cleaning yellow sponge, allowed it to dry, taut, in the shade for 24hrs, then reapplied, and repeated until I had 3 coats on both sides.
The tent fly passed the hose test and was watertight for the 2 weeks I used it while working on a remote island on the GBR. Would I recommend it for a trap or other large item...Not really given the strength of the solvents. To give an old pack another chance to serve you well in the rain.... why not. But please work outdoors, use disposable gloves, and give it a few days to air out fully outside the house.

Kindliing

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I have done this with a tent fly that was loosing its waterproofing. I used turps and clear outdoor silicone caulking that resists UV breakdown. Very messy ordeal, tremendous fumes, and too long a process. Luckily I happen to own a full face respirator with organic vapour cartridges. It essentially leaves a very fine film of silicone. Not all materials are compatible with those chemicals. My tent fly is made of PU, which I scrubbed with a green abrasive kitchen sponge, hosed down, and allowed to dry taut under my pergola. I applied a thin layer of my turps and silicone mix onto both sides using a car cleaning yellow sponge, allowed it to dry, taut, in the shade for 24hrs, then reapplied, and repeated until I had 3 coats on both sides.
The tent fly passed the hose test and was watertight for the 2 weeks I used it while working on a remote island on the GBR. Would I recommend it for a trap or other large item...Not really given the strength of the solvents. To give an old pack another chance to serve you well in the rain.... why not. But please work outdoors, use disposable gloves, and give it a few days to air out fully outside the house.
Thanks ,
I noticed she is using odorless mineral spirits , and I do know we have mineral turps which do smell .
Not sure what odorless mineral spirits translates to at the hardware store.
However after reading your description for the project I was thinking initially which was a cotton canvas jacket which is way too nice to ruin ,

and a canvas tarp being the other,
It makes sense maybe both are too sensitive a type materials for such heavy chemicals.

Kiwisailor

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hi, odourless mineral spirits is "probably"
What we know as White spirits or Coleman Fuel for stoves.
I have re proofed nylon kayak spray decks and hatch covers with the underside urethane coating that has delaminated.
Scrape off ALL urethane, dry and then paint the thinned down Silicone sealant. Terasan has best results.
Turpentine can be used but takes a very long time to dry.
A darn sight cheaper than buying new Decks and hatches.