Military style backpack for an 11 year old - any suggestions?

iodine

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new here. Was wondering if any of you had suggestions of a military style pack that would be good for my kid to hike and camp with? I was looking at the normal hiking packs for him, but they're kind of lame and I want something he can grow into in the next few years.

He's a pretty average sized 11 year old. Any suggestions appreciated from any dads or young blokes that use a pack like that.

Cheers.

Kindliing

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Here is a link to pack from a Gumtree seller in w.a.

I've actually bought the same pack from them, and I love it.
You can then buy and add water bottles and the like as they clip onto the outside of the pack.

Great seller I'd personally recommend who sells surplus stuff. Sends me stuff across the country to qld regularly after I put money in PayPal.

The pack isn't heavy itself, and there is a larger field pack I have, adf which I can't like even though I try like I do this one . Its very durable.

Last edited:

Kindliing

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Note : It will probably have a name written on it as it is army surplus , as much of it does.26965

Last edited:

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
whats your budget?

Id keep in mind the majority of military packs are not good for hiking, being made for riding above belt kit and dont distribute weight correctly into the hips

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a thought have you tried an army surplus store, at least you can try before you buy.

packs really have to be tried IMHO, you have to factor in torso size, what will be carried, appeal and price šŸ˜‰

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
^^^ i agree with Mozzie on that, i shudder to think how many packs i went thru before finding one that fit correctly

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I would get him an Alice pack, get a US frame as they are aluminium. While he is young and not carrying much donā€™t use the frame at all. As the weight increases add the frame on.
Otherwise if you want him to suffer buy a Vietnam era Australian pack.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
If you want to spoil him you could get him something from Benny at High Range Outdoors.

Bushdoc

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
For the pack in the ad above....$27 you can't go wrong.
Usually they go for $150 in decent condition.