Melbourne Bushcraft meetup

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
That is the shelter.
Well researched.
Much smaller than in his first book tho, in the first book this is build and recommended as a semi permanent dwelling.
Shelter building materials are easy to find so long as the region hasn't had fire though it, after a fire tho it can be very hard to find any litter at all.
all the more reason for the carry and use of the tarp and reflective blanket.

Is this going to be a "Minimum-Kit" week-end or is it a bring as much as you can carry affair?
Want to share ideas on a minimum kit? I already have the list I consider minimum having read Mors billycan list.

Axes? Saws? Penknife only LOL??

From experience the area can get really cold and damp and I would be wanting to take a pad and small ( 25/30 litres )rucksack myself

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
That is the shelter.
Well researched.
Much smaller than in his first book tho, in the first book this is build and recommended as a semi permanent dwelling.
Shelter building materials are easy to find so long as the region hasn't had fire though it, after a fire tho it can be very hard to find any litter at all.
all the more reason for the carry and use of the tarp and reflective blanket.

Is this going to be a "Minimum-Kit" week-end or is it a bring as much as you can carry affair?
Want to share ideas on a minimum kit? I already have the list I consider minimum having read Mors billycan list.

Axes? Saws? Penknife only LOL??

From experience the area can get really cold and damp and I would be wanting to take a pad and small ( 25/30 litres )rucksack myself

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Survival Kit in a Pot

Based on the writings of Mors Kochanski

Kit should be in a Nylon Stuff Sack or Shoulder Bag
With the contents water proofed in a plastic bag.
 2 Litre billy with handle & Lid
 Lightweight poncho
 Lightweight insulated hooded jacket or hooded parka
► Leather Gloves
► Matches in a Waterproof Case
► BIC Lighter + Magnesium block and flint
► 4 pieces Wax / Paraffin Tinder
► Carbon Steel Knife
► Personal First Aid Kit & Pressure Dressing
► 12m Cord & 50m Twine
► 21” Bowsaw Blade & 1m Thin Wire (cut in thirds) for making a bush bow-saw
► Shelter (Clear Plastic sheet, Nylon tarp, & Space Blanket)
► Long Burning Survival Candle (Vegetable oil if possible)
► 1m Duct Tape
► Orange Garbage Bags * 3
► 2 Muesi bars or something similar plus chockolate of course
► 6 Tea Bags and 12 sachets of sugar

To this list are added the pocket contents like the compass, signal mirror, whistle and it is always assumed that clothing is already suitable for the worst conditions expected for the season in question
Also I usually add my hobo stove windscreen as the billy fits inside

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Would have to be the last week end in April for me as the 3rd belongs to my GF (her birthday).
May would also be fine.
Another great location for a future meet could be Mitchell's Homestead outside of Jaimeson In central Vic'.
Does require 4wd access tho (or heapsa walking over some steep countryside).

Bill.

Last edited:

Big Bill

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Would love to do it on QueensBDay weekend...........I'm going bush all of april so can't do then........

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
As stated earlier in the thread, I'm already camping with friends at Blackwood, -up stream from O'Brien's crossing-, during Easter. If others want an Easter meet, I'm sure I could find time to at least drop in and say hi, if it's at 'Brien's crossing, and wait for the next meet to get into it. This might have to be a case where we pick a date much further ahead, and even then things are bound to come up for someone, unfortunately. I will do my best to fit in with others though..I'm generally pretty flexible, including mid week. ...

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Easter's a religious holiday.
No not THAT one. Sat (after good Fri) is opening of the Vic' quail season.
No prizes for guessing what I'll be doing that week end.
S'why I suggested the last week end in April, or any time in May.

Bill.

dmm

Russell Coight
Reaction score
The above hut looks good and well suited to cooler weather. I do wonder how long it would take to collect enough leaves in Eastern Australia, seeing as we don't have the deciduous trees like the Northern hemisphere does..... Easter Sunday is April 8th, so I'm thinking 3rd or 4th week in April anyone? Weather can go either way at that time of year..In May it will be pretty cool and good chance of wet... but I'm ok with that too.
I don't think Ray would mind if you just used 5 tarps as the wall. Might not provide the same insulation or camouflage, but I bet it would be a lot quicker.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Ok, prospective project for the meet - explore fire tinders.
I'll be looking further into the issue of using euc' leaves (both wet & dry) as a souce of tinder & various methods of 'improving' on ol' ma natures provisions.

So, have we decided on a date yet? I'd like to propose the last week end in April (28/29). Any further thoughts?

Bill.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
For what it's worth. DSE have different rules for different departments and if you happen to be in a "Designated Firewood Collection Area" or State park so long as you don't cut down trees you are allowed to make temporary shelters and use them for a "Reasonable period of time" the nearest firewood area is Lal Lal.
I just got off the phone

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
April (28/29) suits me, and exploring tinders will be fun and interesting..thrown in some bow drill practice, and maybe hand drill...I'd like to get at least four people for optimum group dynamics.

Nice bit of research, Moondog. State parks regs are much more forgiving than National park ones.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
April (28/29) suits me, and exploring tinders will be fun and interesting..throw in some bow drill practice, and maybe hand drill...I'd like to get at least four people for optimum group dynamics.
Sounds like a good idea to me.
Be interesteing to see how others put their gear together, what methods are used, & what results are achievable.
I'm very keen to persue the idea of using Euc leaves as a tinder in the 'starting' process.
We all know they burn well once we have a flame started, but I want to explore the use of the Euc' leaves/oil in assisting that flame propegation process.
At this stage I'm wondering how really finely ground (powdered) Euc leaves will fare as a tinder.
I'm also going to be looking at crushing up green euc leaves within a piece of material to try to extract the Euc oil, to assist in fire starting.

The week end should also give me further oportunity to work on the Hammock situation.

Lookin fwd to it.

Bill.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
What did the locals use for tinder?
Finely shredded Stringybark may still be the best t use, may be interesting as I haven't used a fire-bow since Scouts and never a twirled stick.
never honestly been much for primitive means of fire-lighting so I have a lot of catching up to do it seems

climbndrive

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Timber Spars,how long

My Best mate in Benloch has a large tree';)d lot (700 acres) i might be able to bring some spars down from there to replicate scenarios for construction purposes,if anyone is keen,just need to know how long and thick they will need to be for use,can probably get about 8 @12ft long and 4 inches at base on my racks,food for thought.