Melbourne Bushcraft meetup

konect

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi all,

Keen on meeting other bushcraft folk in Melbourne.

I'm located in the West and head to Lerderderg State Park, Pyrete Range quite a bit.

Reply here or send me a PM if you are interested.

Cheers.

kobold

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
hey konect i for one would like to meet. i never been there before, i read camping is permitted, hope that includes hammocks

payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Is this yet to happen I'd be keen to attempt an appearance I do shift work and work a lot of weekends so I struggle to get
away but can try.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Been a long time since I went there, time I went back, I may be able to get away from house renovations for a week-end.
Count me in for a meet in a week or two tho, some things cannot wait around the house because of the rain and a big builders skip in the driveway

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I would most definitely be interested in this also.
I'm likewise in the wstrn 'burbs of Melb' & have been into the Lerdederg on a number of occasions.
Looks like there should be enough of us to get a weke end meet together.
Any ideas on date? Might I suggest the Queens birthday long week end in June?
I know it's a fair way off yet but it certainly gives everyone plenty of time to plan & also to get the word out to as many as we can.
Open to suggestions???

Bill.

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
I'm about 100km from Lederberg gorge, but have camped and hiked there many times when I was younger. Sadly it's not half the place it used to be since the diversion tunnel was completed and siphoned off the water.

Anyway, I'd love to be part of a meetup. I've already planned to camp further up the Lerderderg river at Blackwood, with friends, this Easter.

An old photo.

lerderderg.jpg

payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Nice spot i'm going to be doing Errol Mason's hunt smart course queens birthday though:piange:

bugman

Les Stroud
Reaction score
i would also be interested in a meet i have been to "the derg" plenty of times and love it, its an awesome place in winter when their is plenty of water although it can get pretty damn cold. this could also be to do with the fact i often do overnighters with just a some water and food rarely taking sleeping equipment and sleeping on the ground in the middle of winter.. have woke up with frost of my jacket before in their haha.

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
Sorry Bartnmax, I missed your suggested date earlier. Unfortunately, I'll be in Western Australia in June.

Does anyone have a particular part of the Gorge they want to visit? Do you want to walk a lot or set a camp? I wouldn't mind building a project shelter together, like the cool zip tie one.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Set-up a semi fixed camp and work on learning some skills would suit me. Are you allowed to make bush shelters in the park? Cutting standing trees isn't allowed there or wasn't on my last visit decades ago.
There is a Ray Mears open centre shelter I have always wanted to try and build

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
That sounds best to me, Moondog. We might need to scout out a well hidden spot for any building. I'm thinking that O'Briens crossing might be a good meeting point. The exit of the Gorge at Darley is no longer a safe place to leave cars, and no longer allows camping. Strictly speaking I don't think building anything is allowed, but collection of firewood is allowed, so I would argue that we're storing the firewood in an unusual way. LOL
I feel too guilty to cut down hard wood unless it's dead anyway..a fast growing wattle doesn't worry me so much.

Do you have a link for the "Ray Mears open centre shelter"?

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
I can't even find the book at our local library any more.
Imagine a set on "Lean-tos" all joined together around a central fire pit but the unit facing away from the prevailing wind has no covering is the entry.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Four lean-tos facing in on a central fire, all joined together, one has the door in the back... he used to use them for group shelters on courses... they work really well too!

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
The above hut looks good and well suited to cooler weather. I do wonder how long it would take to collect enough leaves in Eastern Australia, seeing as we don't have the deciduous trees like the Northern hemisphere does..... Easter Sunday is April 8th, so I'm thinking 3rd or 4th week in April anyone? Weather can go either way at that time of year..In May it will be pretty cool and good chance of wet... but I'm ok with that too.