Mambup Trip June 28-30...Madness

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Uneekwahn had done the prep for the trip caching 30 litres of water near the campsite; which was just as well, if he'd packed any more he would not have made it up the hill. He was carrying quite a lot, including his cast iron frying pan as he knew we had a new member Foxtrot65, somebody who actually knew the correct end of most cooking utensils...The first picture shows the result of overload..26358
We met up at 15.00 with Thrud, Chris, Foxtrot and Uneekwahn and made our way to a new (for Us) but not for Foxtrot65 who had often camped out and was the owner of the bow drills that we had seen on earlier expeditions. Despite the really heavy rain we have had in WA in the last few weeks, we got a decent fire started thanks to Chris and vaseline gauze. The wood burned hot and slow
Bloffyarrived after dark and we went down to guide him up, even though he would be fine without our help. At least Uneekwahn had stopped falling over by this stage...
Foxtrot^% was under a hootchie, Chris in a tent and the rest in hammocks and onesies (well, perhaps only me, although I thought I did catch site of Bloffy with a unicorn patterned one, but that might have been the rum)
Supper was hand cooked by some and rehydrated for others and there may have been some beer and rum as well.
Day dawned:263642636526366263672636826369
And Uneekwahn started cooking the pancakes with maple syrup, although he cunningly devoted responsibility to Foxtrot (probably just as well) After breakfast Foxtrot had to leave and go and cook for 80!, he said he would be back at 0900 and Uneekwahn asked if he would bring some chorizo. After the madness of the night before, we thought any sane person would run and keep on running, but...
We headed down to restock and meet Moff and Redtail heading up to join the merriment.
After lunch we had a wander along the top, sighting kayakers and investigating caves; Bloffy bravely venturing into some vertical chasm. As we were above the water line, there was little chance of another cave rescue.2637026371263722637326374263752637626377263782637926380

After that a trip to sunset rock as is traditional, but it was too cold for us so we went back to the camp and spent a very enjoyable evening, with only a very light drizzle just around 11pm. Redtail's new elven cloak has magical properties and was able to keep the rain off, and was sensibly tailored with a long flap at the back. We didn't get a glimpse of any potty ears.
0900 on the dot and who arrives back with chorizo and mushrooms and then cooks breakfast for all? You guessed it Foxtrot65 good to his word, clearly mad enough and a bloody good chef!26383
After breakfast, broke camp and tried as best we could to leave no trace.
Just after we left, started to rain.
Excellent weekend with good company.

Did I mention Uneekwahn might have carried a bit much?

uneekwahn

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Help me, I'm a turtle and I can't get back up!

Brilliant weekend gents, and yes, I clearly did pack a little bit too much!

A HUGE thanks to @Foxtrot65 for his efforts in cooking and bringing back chorizo (and mushroom and onion!) and then cooking it for us! A true legend, and now Mad Man of Mount Mambup, along with @Bloffy13, @Chris8546 and Moff!

Can't wait until the next one!

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Sorry I do not have any of the Elven Coat. Must be a cloak of invisibilityo_O
Maybe one of the others has...

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Well worth making the trip up from Albany. Had an absolute blast. I was chuffed with my new pack and how much I managed to fit in it.
It was fantastic to catch up with the Mt Mambup mad men as well as the Initiates (lol), and to finally get my own gurnsey. Foxtrot, great to meet you, mate. Hopefully we didn't scare you off and we see you on future trips.
Not too sure why I got the Wind Up Award. I am a quiet, unassuming and introverted person.......normally. lol
Hmmm, I hope the fashion police never catch up with us. Between Redtail's elven shirt, Thrud's onesie and my cloak, well, let's just say Pierre Cardin is probably rotating in his grave....
Thanks again guys. Let's not leave it too long for the next meet.
Cheers
Bloffy

Foxtrot65

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Brilliant time! Thanks gents for making me feel so welcome, and Jason for the initial invite! Awesome to meet you all, I’ll be back for more! Maybe with a gourmet communal feast!!!!

Chris8546

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Gents another fabulous weekend and a pleasure to meet a couple of you blokes for the first time. I hope its not too long before our paths cross again.
Uneekwhan......thanks for the invite and for giving the early arrivals a chuckle at your dying turtle impression, Priceless!

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks Chigger, just taken with an IPhone 8, uncropped and unedited, lucky with the light!

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Looks like a great trip guys! Thanks for "wake-up" video call from Uneekwahn on Saturday morning (USA time). I was happily tucked up in bed with the wife!