Make Flammable gas in the wild with only water, salt and a battery.

Markie D

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I came across this video online, and it got me thinking....
In the below video it explains that you can make flammable Hydrogen gas from using electrolysis in a dielectric liquid (i.e salted water)

Some designs i have seen are quite small also. Once the hydrogen is created it can used as a stove or for light or starting a fire.
It would also be great to use on a self sufficient "off grid" type scenario.
Has anyone played with these before? I am looking at making one up.... I will post results once done.

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
In off grid setups, people often go for a "digester" (methane gas) rather than hydrogen.

If you have a source of electricity, prob better to use that for lighting and "applicance" etc.
If you want gas to cook or run gas lights, then a digester is a passive way of making the gas from waste material

Methane is also less explosive than hydrogen (which has a very high flash temp when it goes off = nasty burns. But that's for a large volums of gas)

Markie D

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
In off grid setups, people often go for a "digester" (methane gas) rather than hydrogen.

If you have a source of electricity, prob better to use that for lighting and "applicance" etc.
If you want gas to cook or run gas lights, then a digester is a passive way of making the gas from waste material

Methane is also less explosive than hydrogen (which has a very high flash temp when it goes off = nasty burns. But that's for a large volums of gas)
digester are good for homesteads ect, but they don't work short term, the beauty of this hyrogen cell is that gas is made as you need it, no waiting for bio mass to break down, and it can be quite compact also.....
Experimets on the way.... hahaha