magnifying lens kit

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I have developed a nice little magnifying lens kit that is very neat and robust when put together.

The lens is protected by the brass container (which it fits perfectly inside the tin) and is very compact and portable. It easily fits in any kit or a pocket. I add two pieces of suede, top and bottom of the tin so to protect the lens, as well leave the lens in its crepe paper wrap.

in a draw strike bag I have settled on

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Glass-M...var=570789742010&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cap-or-...m4188d3c7cf:g:gX4AAOSw8cNUPePM&frcectupt=true

you have to buy the suede to line the tin, as well as the small draw string bags.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
decided to buy some more magnifying lenses, bought three more of my preferred 38mm lenses and thought bugger it and splurged and bought a 50mm in leather, all set for them now for a while, I'll add these to kits.

I am yet to get the brass pill tins for the 38mm lenses, but will do down the track.

for anyone interested I buy these from viceroy on ebay, excellent seller, here's the link
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Glass-M...var=570789742010&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

silver_capsicum

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Nice one. How easy is it to get an ember going with something like this? Is it very weather dependent?

Brass case is very classy!

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
in sun light on char cloth or charred materials (punk wood etc) about 1/2 a second. As soon as you focus the lens it embers the char cloth/char material. These are very good for charring punk wood, and then once charred you can get it to ember easily.

Amadou and chaga (or the equivalent Aussie fungus so white tinder fungus etc) almost as quick.

processed tinders like paper or leaves takes a bit longer, you work the edges until you get an ember then blow it into flame.

Yes it is weather dependent, clouds will spoil your efforts, best to work in full sun light for best results. That being said these are good powerful 6x lenses so they can work in less than ideal light, just experiment.

Last edited:

silver_capsicum

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I got one of the small lenses after seeing this, works great. Got a flame going on some fibrous bark shredded and twisted up with grass pretty easily, and at about 5:30 pm too. It came in a little cloth bag.

I've never made char cloth but might give it a go for some quartz and steel action. Got an old cigarillo tin laying around somewhere.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
char material is by far the easiest to get embered with a lens, I found it takes about 1/2 a second, as soon as you focus the lens the ember has formed.

Viceroy's lenses are great, IMHO well worth the money.