magnets and edc kit?

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I have an eMTB. The rear brake rotor is 180mm; I'm upgrading it to 203mm (it's really steep here). Because it's an ebike, there's a little magnet built into the rotor for the speed sensor. The new ordered rotor doesn't have this, so I ordered some rare earth magnets. 50 5mm x 1mm magnets for $4.25 :ROFLMAO:. There are all sorts of different sizes, and so cheap. So I thought I might as well whack one in my urban kit and my bush kit. Both kits are small - the bush kit complements the urban kit for when I go bush (bandage, thick garbage bag, space blanket etc). I shall probably just use a piece of tape to hold it to the side of something in the kit - like I've done with a sewing needle.

I was wondering what potential uses a small magnet would have? I was considering gluing a small piece of hootchy cord to it, so that it could be attached to a longer piece if needed. But now I'm not sure. I can also tape it to a stick for greater reach; string for lowering down between decking planks etc, stick for reaching into high or awkward places. That's the limit of my imagination right now :ROFLMAO:

I'd like to hear if anyone can think of any potential uses for a magnet in an edc kit. Again, my magnet is only 5mm x 1mm, half the size of a business shirt button.

Last edited:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Magnetising a needle to use as a compass.
By the same token if you have a compass don't store a RE magnet near it!

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Magnetising a needle to use as a compass.
By the same token if you have a compass don't store a RE magnet near it!
Yes, awesome. Bowl of water, or puddle, float the needle on a leaf. Great idea. I always have a compass, and even a spare. Very good point; I keep the spare in one of the kits. I'll have to give that some thought. Logically the spare should be in my bush kit, so I'll keep the magnet in my urban kit. Maybe I'll carry two of the magnets in the one kit - they can be combined if I need to lift something that's beyond the capacity of one magnet. This way I can have some cord on one magnet, and one without. You just stopped me from ruining my spare compass. Imagine if I had to use it and it was giving a wrong reading - sheesh.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
….. Maybe I'll carry two of the magnets in the one kit - ….
With 2 magnets you can sandwich the cord (or stick) between the 2 magnets so they will hold themselves in place.

You can also magnetise the head of a screwdriver so it will hold a screw.

Sometimes you can use a magnet to find a dropped screw or thingy which is mixed up with sawdust etc … like a needle in a haystack

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
With 2 magnets you can sandwich the cord (or stick) between the 2 magnets so they will hold themselves in place.

You can also magnetise the head of a screwdriver so it will hold a screw.

Sometimes you can use a magnet to find a dropped screw or thingy which is mixed up with sawdust etc … like a needle in a haystack
I have some tape in the kit - I thought I'd use a piece of that if I have to. For example, tape one or both magnets to the end of a stick. The magnetising thing is a great idea. I have a sak credit card thing with a small multi head tool that I carry in the urban kit - I will magnetise that, maybe the tweezers too! Your last point - that's kind of what I was thinking too. I've dropped things (or others have) between boards of a deck, for example. So I think I'll glue a string tab to one of the magnets, so that it can be attached to a string, just for that. Thanks aussie