Made some natural cordage.

Markie D

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Sorry for the bad pics... I recently got a book by Richard graves. It teaches about making cordage. I gave it a try over the weekend. Did the hand method of twisting in opposite directions until if forms a loop then twist and lay the two strands over each other.
I tried a few different materials. I managed to make two decent pieces of cord one is made out of redgum bark fibres, (the brown one). The green one is made out of blackberry vines... And it is surprisingly strong.

Attachments

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Lovely work. The cordage looks very neat and even.
Did you join in additional lengths of fiber, or was it one long piece ?

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Very neat laying!
I think Bob Cooper suggested using oil or butter on the rope to help preserve it, but I might be mistaken. Someone here will know.

Markie D

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Lovely work. The cordage looks very neat and even.
Did you join in additional lengths of fiber, or was it one long piece ?
yeah i joined in new lengths of fiber, But i tried to keep them as long as possible, The blackberry is a lot easier, because it is eay to find and gather long lengths, Process time is short too. All i do with the black berries is, Knock all the thorns off with my knife, and then bash it with a stick to seperate the timber inside with the outside fibers, then your right to go.
I am gunna give it another go, so i will see if i can get some pics during the process....

Markie D

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Very neat laying!
I think Bob Cooper suggested using oil or butter on the rope to help preserve it, but I might be mistaken. Someone here will know.
Yeah i have heard oil works for natrual cordage, I was also gunna try rended animal fat, as it is easier to get in the forest.